A baby bit a tick, what do I do?
How to behave and what to do if a child is bitten by a tick: first aid, further actions and recommendations to parents
In a warm time it is pleasant to relax in the fresh air, in the park, out of town, in the woods with the whole family. Sometimes the joy of communicating with nature is darkened by an unpleasant discovery: a child is bitten by a tick. What's to be done? Few people know.
Ticks are more likely to live in certain regions, but no one is immune from a blood-sucking insect. It is important to remember that a bitten child may have hemorrhagic fever, viral encephalitis or Lyme disease. Allergic reactions are common. The material will be useful for people of all ages.
Tick on the child's body always causes panic in parents. I immediately think of the dangerous consequences that often develop after an unpleasant event in nature. But don't panic: it's important to find out how dangerous the bite is, whether the blood-sucking insect is infected or not. What do I do?
Pay attention to the symptoms of tick bite:
- infection has not penetrated the body, the tick was quite “harmless”. It feels a slight chill, a slight malaise, the area of contact with the insect slightly blushes in allergic children. The symptomatology passes fast enough. There are no serious consequences for the body, but the examination of a specialist, prescription of compounds that strengthen the immune system is mandatory;
- the child was bitten by a tick – the carrier of a dangerous disease. Transmission of the virus from an insect to a human being is accompanied by pronounced signs. Symptoms may vary, but the general symptoms are as follows: noticeable change in shape, color at the bite site, painfulness in the back area, a sharp rise in body temperature. Headaches, ailments, weakness, and loss of appetite are common.
After the tick has been removed, be sure to take your child to a hospital to check on a small patient.
Even in good health, a pediatrician will prescribe tests to detect/eliminate infection.
Don't rely on strong immunity: Lyme disease, viral encephalitis are dangerous diseases that cause problems with the CNS. In the absence of timely help, the consequences can be tragic.
Find out about the benefits and benefits of the infant formula Similac neoshur for newborns.
On the use of AquaMaris droplets for children of all ages, read in this article.
Affected person does not always find the problem immediately: during a bite, a blood-sucking insect injects a strong anesthetic, the person does not feel pain or the presence of a dangerous “guest”.
It is important to show your child to the doctor in time to prevent serious consequences if the tick was a vector of infection.
Parents should be aware of the symptoms of dangerous diseases carried by blood-sucking insects.
Disease properties if bitten by an encephalitis tick:
- the most serious disease a person encounters when bitten by a tick;
- without proper therapy comes paralysis, brain inflammation, loss of consciousness. There are cases of fatal outcome;
- infection with tick-borne encephalitis on the second – fifth day there is confusion, severe nausea, vomiting, fever. Weakness develops, headaches are painful;
- if any of the symptoms appear, immediate medical attention is required if you have not taken your baby to hospital before.
- when bitten by a borrelial mite, a circular migrating enanthma appears at the site of infection, the first sign of infection;
- the redness of the bitten area has an oval or round shape. Gradually, the color of the formation changes, there are circles diverging from the center;
- the child develops weakness, there is a fever, the affected place swells up;
- with the spread of infection often there are signs of infection in other parts of the body. The baby is suffering from muscle pain, runny nose, broken knees, sore throat;
- Lyme disease carcinogenesis – gradual attenuation of symptoms while maintaining infection in organs and tissues. After about a week or so, the signs of the disease disappear but the problem only goes deep;
- Lyme borreliosis does not take place without some therapy, the consequences for the body can be severe. Children with weak immune systems are particularly at risk;
- a course of antibiotics is required for a complete cure. Lack of therapy often causes damage to the heart, joints and nervous system. In severe cases, disability is possible. It is important to stop the spread of toxins and pathogens in time. For this reason, you shouldn't hesitate to see a doctor for tests, to choose the strongest antibiotics.
What to do if a child is bitten by a tick
What to do at home if a tick is bitten? Do the right thing:
If parents do not knowingly crush an insect, the victim will receive an extra dose of contaminated liquid from the salivary glands of a dangerous vector.
If the rules are followed, the risk of complications is minimized, and the spread of infection can be prevented.
Physicians recommend abandoning methods that cause dangerous insects to release new saliva portions. Incorrect actions will speed up the penetration of viruses and bacteria into the bloodstream.
- drop kerosene or sunflower oil on the tick;
- burn the insect;
- try to crush the vector;
- to tear the insect off with your fingers;
- toss the tick after it has been removed from the body: It is important to examine the blood-sucking “aggressor” to see if it is infected or not.
How to get the insect out correctly
- calm the child, examine the affected area;
- Ask him/her to sit quietly, move less, do not rub the bite when burning, itching;
- Take a regular pair of tweezers, if it is not there, make a loop of thread;
- Grab the blood-sucking insect close to the head, start “unscrewing” it perpendicular to the skin. The movements are like unscrewing a screw. It is possible to rock the tick's body slightly, carefully taking your hand away from the surface;
- you can't sharply pull a dangerous insect out of the body: It is easy to accidentally crush it, make it inject a new dose of infected saliva with a lot of viruses or pathogenic bacteria and toxins;
- after extracting the insect, put it in a jar, close it tightly with the lid, then take it to the examination;
- the area where the bite was made, wash with soap and water, soak carefully, disinfect with alcohol;
- Take your child to the doctor for tests. Never hesitate, especially if the baby is only a year old – two. Toxins spread rapidly in the body, weak immunity reduces resistance to infection.
View a review of the best infant formulae for newborns without palm oil and GMO.
Effective treatments for chronic tonsillitis in children are described in this article.
On http://razvitie-malysha.com/zdorovie/sredstva/gerbion.html read about the dosage and rules for using Herbion syrup for children.
What do you do if your test shows that you are infected with a dangerous disease? Firstly, babies of all ages are placed in a hospital for constant monitoring of the course of the disease.
Encephalitis necessarily injects an antibody immunoglobulin. Borreliosis is a bacterial pathology.
After an antibiotic sensitivity test, the doctor will prescribe a potent antibiotic drug;
Home therapy for Lyme disease and viral encephalitis is not carried out: a constant monitoring of the young patient's condition is necessary.
Importantly! Late doctor's appointments can lead to dangerous complications. Be sure to show your child to a specialist for the timely detection of a severe infection.
Prophylaxis is the best protection against the dangerous consequences that small blood-sucking insects often cause. Follow the rules, and teach children precautions.
- residence in the area where the encephalitis mite habitat is located is a reason for mandatory anti-encephalitis vaccination. The optimal age for vaccination is determined by the doctor, based on a combination of many factors;
- before going to the woods, places where there are high grasses, wet areas, prepare the “right” clothes. Your task is to close the body, not to let the tick suckle in a convenient place for him. Optimum variant: jackets, windbreakers with elastic bands on a hood and sleeves. Tuck your pants tightly in your socks, put on rubber boots or sneakers. A picnic in rubber boots is not very convenient: pick up closed shoes, make sure to tuck your pants in your socks;
- on your clothes spray repellent – a substance that scares away insects. Ticks can smell the warm-blooded victim from a long distance (and they have poor eyesight). It's important to confuse the insects, keep them from finding themselves. Not all sprays and creams are suitable for children. What's to be done? Scare away blood-sucking insects with clove or peppermint essential oils;
- natural esters have a sharp smell, but at least do not contain harmful synthetic components. Also spray natural repellents in the tent if no one is allergic to oils;
- when a tick is detected, do not press it: gently grip the tweezers to avoid biting, place them in a jar with a tightly screwed lid. Give a blood-sucking insect to the Sanitary and Epidemiological Service as soon as possible to find out what the danger is for holidaymakers in a particular area.
after a walk, be sure to inspect the clothes and skin of all family members who have returned from a hike in the woods. Carefully check skin folds, behind the ears, under the knees, head, groin, lumbar region. Above the bathroom, shake off your clothes, inspect the pockets, the connections between the parts;
Now you know what to do if a young tourist is bitten by a tick during a hike or picnic. Act competently when detecting a blood-sucking insect on the body of any family member.
Always prepare carefully for a hike, consider the possibility of meeting with a dangerous vector of serious diseases.
Memorize suitable clothing for a hike in the woods, repellents, skin exams, and clothes when you return home.
Always see a doctor when you get bitten by a tick to check the health of the affected child. If necessary, treat inpatient.
. Dr. Komarowski about tick bites and other blood-sucking insects:
If a child is bitten by a tick, what do I do? Home treatment
Outdoor in the woods, in the park often brings not only pleasant, but sometimes horrible experiences. Negative emotions from such pastime can appear if the mother finds out that her beloved son or daughter was bitten by a tick.
Of course, at first this situation seems to be just terrible: a moving crumb of the body of a parasite that slowly but surely penetrates deep into. Today we find out what measures parents should take if a child is bitten by a tick.
What should a mother do in such a situation, where to run to and whom to turn to? We'll talk about it in the article.
Means of extracting an insect
Many parents are likely to panic when they find their child bitten by a tick. What's to be done? Komarovskiy Evgeny Olegovich – pediatrician with a great experience of work – advises: in any case, you can not be afraid and faint.
Mom or Dad should promptly take action, otherwise the consequences can be deplorable.
This doctor suggests that parents who decide to take the tick out of the child's body on their own should take advantage of these different methods, which differ in the means by which the insect will be removed:
- Supply tweezers.
- Special tick removal device.
- With a thread.
What should the parents do if their little child is bitten by a tick? What's Mom gonna do in this case? If it's a baby baby, we need to call a doctor right away. If the child is older, the parent can initially try to take the insect out of the body of the son or daughter, and then go to the hospital.
It is best to remove this parasite with curved tweezers, but if this is not found, you can use the usual. At the same time, pediatrician E.O. Komarovskiy emphasizes that the tick should be taken as close to the trunk as possible. Then it should be carefully tightened, while rotating the insect in a suitable direction (which is convenient).
If this parasite tries to pull out, there is a high probability of its rupture.
Therapy in the walls of your own apartment involves the removal of the parasite. This device has an advantage over conventional tweezers in that it does not pinch the insect's body, does not pour the contents of the parasite into the wound, which in turn reduces the risk of infecting the child. Today, the Uniclean Tich Twister has proven its worth. How to use the description below:
- To start you need to choose a hook that matches the size of the tick.
- Selecting the right rod, you need to approach them to the insect from the flat side of the body. Hook the tick into the hook slot until the parasite is supported on the attachment.
- Completion stage: lift the hook and turn it 2 or 3 turns.
Extraction of an insect by means of a thread
When a child is bitten by a tick, what should his mother do? How do you help your baby if you don't have any tweezers or a special device from this parasite? In this case, the usual thread will do.
However, it must be strong enough so that it does not break at the time of manipulation. So, the thread must be tied into a knot by the mother, as close as possible to the trunk of the parasite, then slowly remove the tick, pulling it up.
Sharp movements in this case are unacceptable.
For now we find out that it is not possible to do a mother or father whose child was bitten by a tick. What to do in a situation where such a tiny creature is absorbed into the body of a native son or daughter? Parents should be aware of the forbidding practices:
– Don't pull the tick too hard or too hard, because it can cause the tick to rupture its body. As a result, the proboscis may remain in the skin and only the doctor can remove it from there.
– It is forbidden to remove this spider with dirty hands or instruments.
– Don't squeeze the insect or try to crush it before pulling it out.
– Do not water it with vinegar, gasoline, alcohol, or other chemical or aggressive liquids.
– Never light this tiny creature with a lighter or match before removing it.
Parental action after removal of the insect
If the mother pulls out the spider at home, she must now take care of the child's health. What to do, if the child was bitten by a tick, the parent is now aware (it is necessary to pull him out of the skin quickly), and here are what further actions the mother should spend not many.
So, after removal of this insect the son or daughter must necessarily treat the bite site with any antiseptic, such as hydrogen peroxide, iodine or alcohol. The tick should never be immediately destroyed.
Mom should send her dad to a laboratory to study the insect to make sure it was not a carrier of a dangerous disease. For transportation you will need an ordinary jar with a lid, inside which you should put wet paper or cloth.
This is necessary to create a favorable environment for the insect, so that on the way to the laboratory it is not killed. Within two days, the parent must deliver the tick to an experimental research facility.
Risks and threats
The effects of this parasite's bite can be quite serious, as this insect can cause severe and dangerous diseases in the child.
The most serious and terrible illnesses are:
We will now find out why these illnesses are so dangerous and what they can lead to.
Forest ticks are the main vectors of a serious problem such as borreliosis, or Lyme disease. Due to a child's bite by such a dangerous insect, cells of the central nervous system, skin, heart, musculoskeletal apparatus soon begin to be affected in a boy or girl.
Signs of the disease are as follows:
– Redness of the skin in the area of the parasite bite.
– Slow increase in the red spot.
– Converting a bite site from a rounded spot to a ring with a pale blue core in the center.
What do I do if my baby is bitten by a tick that carries such a dangerous disease? Parents should first call an ambulance, which will take their baby and mother to the hospital. In the future, the baby will be treated by an infectious disease doctor. Emergency therapy for Borreliosis includes the use of special medications prescribed by the doctor by the baby.
If the mother has not taken prompt action and has not consulted the doctor, the disease will be permanent, which will lead to disability in the future.
The first signs of human exposure to this type of parasite are often 10 days after the insect has penetrated the human body. During this time, the infection can easily penetrate into the blood of a boy or girl. Symptoms of tick-borne encephalitis are:
– General and muscular weakness around the neck, upper and lower extremities.
– A sense of numbness in the face.
– Body temperature begins to rise.
– Nausea and vomiting.
– Painful headache.
– Redness of the face, neck, eye and oral mucosa.
What should I do if a child's encephalitis tick bites me and I see the above signs? The mother should immediately consult an infectious disease doctor or a paediatrician at the health centre, and she and her baby should be allowed to go out of turn. She can also go to the infectious diseases ward. And if her son or daughter is in serious condition, she should call an ambulance without delay.
Encephalitis diagnostics includes a laboratory analysis of the victim's blood.
Treatment of this terrible disease
If a child is bitten by a tick, what do you do in this case, how do you treat it?
Preventive measures to prevent the development of encephalitis when bitten by this parasite. In some cases, it can lead to disability or even death. So, as noted above, the mother must inform the doctor if her baby was bitten by a tick.
What to do with the affected person decides only the specialist. Of course, the doctor initially conducts emergency prophylaxis of tick-borne encephalitis, which involves the introduction of antiviral drugs into the child's body, as well as immunoglobulin.
But these measures are only effective for the first 72 hours of exposure to the victim's blood.
At the same time, antibiotics are ineffective when bitten by any tick, including encephalitis. This is because the virus is not a bacterium, so doctors prescribe immunoglobulin.
By the way, parents should be aware that it is a fairly expensive medicine, because it is based on the blood of donors who are immune to the virus. So Mom and Dad must be prepared not only morally, but also financially if a child is bitten by a tick.
What do they do in this case? It is necessary to prepare the considerable sum of money that it was possible to get expensive medicine.
Treatment of the kid exposed to a bite of the infected representative of spider shapes, should pass only in hospital walls.
Doctors appoint to the child reception of vitamins, observance of a nutritious diet and, certainly, a bed mode. And for prevention purposes, the patient is given medications that activate immunity.
These can be medications based on interferon and ribonuclease, such as Anaferon.
Now you know what the mother should do if a child is bitten by a tick. What you can do and what you can't do – you also read about it in the article.
The main thing you should pay attention to is that after a walk in the forest, park, coming home, you should carefully examine your son's or daughter's body. Also, do not forget about your health, because the tick can bite an adult as well.
And if it has already happened, you should try not to panic, and act confidently and correctly.
Kid bitten by a tick: what to do at home, photo bite, advice from Dr. Komarowski
Tick bite can lead to a number of serious consequences, so it requires immediate action. Children are more likely to be affected by this problem, as they like to play mobile games and often neglect safety rules at the peak of such dangerous creatures' activity. It is important to recognize the tick bite site in time and to perform a number of mandatory procedures.
How to remove the tick
The best way to remove the tick is with tweezers or hands if it is quite large. In the second case, you need to grab the parasite in the area of its attachment to the skin, but first you should wrap your fingers with bandages.
Never take the tick by the legs or the back of the calf, otherwise it may not be completely removed. If you're uncomfortable grabbing fingers, you'd better get some tweezers. Fix the tool tightly to the tick head and start pulling it out with rotating movements.
You can't pull the parasite out, otherwise part of it may stay under the skin.
When gripping the tweezers with tweezers it is necessary to fix the tool as close as possible to the head
Where to treat the bite site
Tick bite site in children can be treated with a green tick. It is not recommended to fill the wound with aggressive alcoholic solutions, thus increasing inflammation and pain symptoms. The area around the bite should be disinfected with Chlorhexidine or Miramistein. Iodine can be used, but only for the treatment of the area around the wound.
If the wound increases in size and nothing helps to relieve inflammation, it is advisable to consult a doctor or call an ambulance.
Photogallery: what can be used to treat the bite site
Green – the best way to disinfect the bite site of the tick Iodine can only be applied to the area around the wound Miramistine can be used to disinfect the edges of the wound
Medicines that can help prevent dangerous consequences:
- Stimulants: Anaferon for children, Interferon, etc. These products strengthen the body's defenses and increase its resistance.
- Antihistamines: Phoenistyl, Suprastin, etc. Such preparations allow to get rid of symptomatology which can appear in the form of itching and burning in a place of a bite.
Tick-borne encephalitis prophylaxis in children use preparation Iodantipirin which possesses anti-inflammatory action and antiviral activity. This medicine is only used after consultation with a doctor.
Photogallery: emergency prophylaxis drugs
Anaferon stimulates the body's defenses Interferon strengthens the immunity of Phoenistyl and relieves itching and burning
Where to give the tick for analysis
The tick analysis can be taken to the nearest polyclinic. There therapist will take it and send it to the laboratory for analysis. If a parasite cannot be passed in the next few hours, it must be placed in a glass jar and covered tightly with a lid and removed in a cool place.
The tick is examined at the diagnostic center for its ability to infect with encephalitis and borilliosis.
Which doctor should be consulted and which tests should be taken
First of all, after a tick bite, the child should be treated by a local pediatrician, who will send him/her for the necessary laboratory tests. Basic methods:
- Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) of the blood. Helps to detect the presence of tick-borne encephalitis virus and borilliosis. Blood analysis for encephalitis antibodies should be taken from the 11th day after the bite.
- Blood analysis for encephalitis antibodies. The virus can be detected no sooner than 14 days after extraction of the tick.
- Blood analysis for antibodies to borilliosis. The result will be reliable only one month after the bite. If you donate blood earlier, no antibodies will be detected.
The most informative method of investigation is PCR, which allows you to identify the virus by the presence of its characteristic DNA.
What symptoms after a tick bite should be alarming
If, on the contrary, the tick does not heal after extracting the parasite, but rather increases in size and begins to hurt, it is an alarming signal that the tick was not so harmless. What other symptoms should be worrying:
- Elevated body temperature;
- freezing during the day;
- refusal of the child from food;
- nausea and vomiting;
- brain in the joints;
- pleasant sensations in the muscles;
- increased irritability