How to accustom a child to a pot: common mistakes and recommendations
How to accustom a child to a pot?
Before a child is accustomed to the pot, it is necessary to evaluate his or her psychological development. If he understands why he is being planted on this subject and his panties are taken off, the result will be achieved faster. The main thing in this process is the patience and peace of mind of the parents.
Optimal age for pot training
According to current scientists, at 22-30 months the child's brain is able to control urination and defecation. That's why you don't have to get used to the pot before. Up to two years old, the baby can use diapers freely.
Of course, the baby can go to the pot if you put him there on time. But it is not yet possible for a child to meet his or her needs constantly and consciously. Healthy parents won't drop off a two-month-old baby in two years because it doesn't make any sense.
Besides, it can lead to hysteria or attempts to play with him.
Signs of a child's readiness
If you notice the following signs, you can start to get used to the pot:
- Age over 1.5 years.If the baby wakes up dry after a day's sleep and the diaper is also dry for the next 2 hours, it is a measure of bladder control.
- If you want to go big, the baby becomes quiet and focused, and then says what he did.The child's understanding of the elementary requests: bring, put, go.
- The child does not resist undressing and dressing.
- understand the body parts.
- Ability to sit for 5-10 minutes while watching the cartoon. If these signs do not appear in the child, he is not ready to master the pot yet.
To teach a child to use a pot, the following tips should be followed:
- The first time you should often offer a pot to a child, not the other way around.
- The pot must be stable, simple and without drawings.
- Buy large pants so that the child can easily take them off.
- Wear short T-shirts and T-shirts so that they don't have to be raised.
- Mark the child's successes in the table and praise him for it.
- To get to know the pot you need to do beforehand.
- Do not play with it.
- Bring your child to the toilet to explain what you are doing, suggest that you sit on the pot.
- After you're done with your needs, put on underwear and pants.
- Explanation of the concepts of dry and wet.
- Description of actions – “pee-pee” or “caca”.
- Not to scold children for making mistakes, because your reaction may not be clear to them.
- Day one. Put panties and a T-shirt on the baby. Tell your child that when he or she wants to go to the bathroom, tell his or her mother or go to the potty. Be sure to take your child to the toilet, showing and telling her/his actions. The first time you remind your child to go to the pot every 15 minutes. To do that, you have to put him away for five minutes and read a fairy tale. After successfully using the pot several times, you can increase the time between plantings. Be sure to praise the child for the first successes.
- Day two. Stimulating independent potty tours. You don't need to overly entertain your child so that he or she remembers going to the toilet.
- Day three. Determining the frequency of hiking to the pot. You can't put diapers on a baby because you have to start all over again.
- Day four. Most kids go to the potty on their own. If the child did not go to the toilet in 2 hours, it is necessary to remind him of the pot.
- At the end of the week you can teach your child to go to the toilet. To do that, put a pot near the toilet.
Cause of failure
- Dental eruption period, which is associated with discomfort.
- Crisis of one year, when the baby rebels against everything that mom or dad does.
- Enoccupation with the game, which may result in a child not noticing an overcrowded bubble.
All children are individual, so they develop differently. Some people get used to the pot earlier, others get used to it later. This process has nothing to do with mental ability, just some more persevering.
Sometimes children who started to go to the pot early protest strongly and stop going to it.
Pot Getting used to it
- Sex sign. The girls' learning process is easier. They're more accommodating than boys, so it's easier to put them on the pot. Boys need to be taught longer. If the child is calm, he can be taught faster. He can be persuaded, offered a toy to sit on the pot. It's hard to put a fast kid on a pot because he doesn't have time for that! He runs, jumps, plays, and is afraid to spend time in a boring class. In such cases, they do not have time to run to the toilet.
Crawl, sit, hold objects, go to the toilet – these are the skills of the child. Sooner or later he will learn it with the help of his parents.
The result of the process depends on it.
How to accustom a child to a pot
Diaper release is the first step on the way to the pot, unless you practice an early landing. But you won't be able to wean your baby from diapers a day or two in a row if he's spent a year and a half in them before.
To reduce the use of disposable diapers in the daytime, when the child can consciously control his urges. Get ready for a few months longer overnight diapers if you don't want to change your bed linen every day.
At the end of the article we have prepared a checklist for you “How to prepare your child for kindergarten”. Download it and your baby will go to kindergarten with pleasure!
You have to choose the best method, which is suitable for your child. This can be a categorical rejection of diapers of any kind or the gradual removal of disposable diapers from everyday life. As a worthy alternative to diapers for babies who are not yet ready to use the pot, there are training panties. They teach the child:
- to undress before sitting on a “plastic throne”;
- to associate wet panties with a desire to pee.
At the same time, training panties with an outer waterproof layer make life easier for moms by eliminating puddles on the floor and furniture.
Training panty variants
- Disposable panty diapers differ from ordinary diapers only by the presence of rubber bands instead of the usual velcro fasteners. Their goal is to teach your child to cope with the new type of underwear on their own.
Take into account the sex of the child when choosing diaper panties, because the areas with maximum absorption capacity are located in different places for boys and girls.
- The disposable panties with interchangeable liners have a waterproof outer layer and an inner multi-layer liner made of natural materials.
The liners do not absorb moisture completely, so the baby can experience the unpleasant sensation of wet skin contact. The inlays can be washed in a washing machine with reusable panties. It is important to choose the right size and fit, to check the elastic elements around the legs so that the panties do not leak.
- Multi-layer panties are made for kids who have already mastered the pot, but still allow “misfire”. They differ from ordinary linen by the presence of additional layers in the perineum area. These models do not have a waterproof outer layer, so they do not protect against leaks, but slow down the formation of puddles and soaking clothes.
Because multilayer panties are dense enough, they are best used in the cold season.
From birth without diapers: all about early dropout
How can you tell if a child is ready to go to the pot?
Many mothers start to teach their baby how to use the pot as early as 6-8 months old, not realizing that he or she is not physically or psychologically ready to give up diapers.
- First of all, the infant is not yet aware of the processes of bowel and bladder emptying and therefore cannot control them.
- Second, your baby's back and leg muscles aren't strong enough to move around on their own and sit in the same position for a long time.
- Three, your child does not understand the purpose of the pot, so it can sit on an incomprehensible device for a long time and without results, which will lead to negative emotions: anger, aggression and irritation.
At the end of the article, we prepared a checklist for you entitled “How to prepare a child for kindergarten. Download it and your baby will go to kindergarten with pleasure!
Your baby is ready to learn toilet skills if:
- he has a relatively stable defecation mode,
- his diaper remains dry and clean for 1.5-2 hours,
- he understands the meaning of the words and associates the words “poop” and “write” with the corresponding physiological processes,
- he can use words, gestures, or some other way to show that he wants to go to the toilet,
- he is uncomfortable in wet clothes or diapers for a long time.
he understands the meaning of the words and associates the words “poop” and “write” with the corresponding physiological processes/li>
While children begin to control sphincter work after one year, the stability in the use of the pot is set only at the age of 22 to 30 months.
Despite the abundance of supporters of early drop-off, paediatricians around the world recommend that they start learning toilet skills at the age of 1.5 to 2 years.
Some kids start to use the pot completely independently only by the age of 3, and that's okay.
7 things a one-year-old child should be able to do
How can I get my baby used to a pot?
How can I get my baby used to a pot? Here are a few rules for a quick pot learning curve:
- It is desirable that all family members are healthy and the baby is in a good mood at the start of the learning process.
- Optimal start time for training is the summer months, when at a minimum the clothes can be removed quickly and easily.
- Begin by introducing the baby to the pot after a meal, sleep or walk. Choose any time your baby wants to empty his bladder.
- If the baby has successfully done the job, praise him and highlight how proud you are of this new achievement.
- If the baby doesn't understand why the pot is needed yet, don't be upset and don't show your disappointment.
- Beginning to learn toilet skills doesn't mean you have to give up diapers completely. Diapers are useful for night and daytime sleep, long walks or public transport.
- To protect your home from the effects of children's “accidents”, remove the carpets and put disposable diapers on the upholstered furniture for a while.
- Only after a crumb gets used to going to the toilet at home, you can train it without diapers on the walk.
- Late learning to control their bladder in their sleep is the most important reason why night-time “accidents” sometimes happen in babies under three years of age.
Pot should always be within sight and reach of the child. The perfect place for him is a private corner on the floor in the nursery. At the beginning, you can use several pots, placing them in different rooms and reducing their number over time. When the baby's in need without a miss, the pot can be moved to the toilet or bathroom.
Boys can be equipped with a small stool in front of the toilet so they can write standing up like a dad. Have the father show his son how to lift the seat, to relieve the need and to lower the seat. For your baby's convenience, you can equip the seat with a special loop for which you can easily lift and lower it.
When the child turns 2 years old, you can teach him not only to cope with the need, sitting on a “plastic throne”, but also to perform a number of related operations.
This means that the baby should be able to find the pot himself, use it for its intended purpose, and then pour its contents into the toilet and rinse with water.
Moreover, the baby should be able to take off and put on panties and pants on his own.
For the baby to feel how much you trust him, and actively develop independence, give up the changing table and place baby clothes and clothes on the shelves, which can easily reach the child. In case of “misfire” the little one will be able to change clothes and throw the dirty clothes in the basket by herself.
In the end of the article we have prepared for you a check-list “How to prepare a child for kindergarten”. Download it and your baby will go to kindergarten with pleasure!
What to do if a child doesn't go to the pot?
Sometimes kids absolutely refuse to use the pot, and one of its kinds falls into panic. Such a reaction is possible if the baby is not yet psychologically ready to give up diapers. Training will take longer if the first acquaintance has left an unpleasant impression. For example, if you have shrunk a sleeping baby sharply on a cold metal pot.
Negative associations arise and in the case of constipation and the formation of a crumb of solid faeces. A single painful episode is enough for the baby to refuse to use the pot.
In this case, it is advisable to seek medical advice to facilitate the defecation and try to explain to the baby the cause of the discomfort.
If you have tried all the well-known techniques, but still do not know how to teach a child to the pot, try to invite friends with kids who have already mastered this skill.
Example of peers works much more effectively than parental entreaties, so your little one will get used to the “plastic friend”. Alternatively, you can teach the baby to plant their favorite toys on the pot.
There are even special dolls on sale that can “drink” water, and then get rid of it in a special toy pot.
In some cases, a one-year-old baby is not ready to learn the toilet skills, despite the efforts of parents. Postpone training for a couple of months and then retry. Most likely, this time will be enough for the child to forget about the negative associations with the pot and acquire the necessary psychological maturity for controlled emptying of the intestines and bladder.
Teach two-year-old child is easier than the baby, because he understands your words. Explain that it is the pot that needs to be used, because this is what Mom and Dad do, and other children.
If a child at an older age refuses to get used to the new rules, try to completely exclude diapers for a few days. When your baby gets wet on his pants, explain that you can avoid repeating the situation by using a pot. Before the beginning of such experiment it is necessary to secure upholstered furniture and carpets, and to bed a disposable diaper.
The children who are afraid of a pot, often pour puddles, it is necessary to allow them only to get up from a “plastic throne”. Involve your child in the cleaning of puddles and piles so that he or she feels responsible for what he or she has done. Be sure to explain that you can do without cleaning if you need a vessel to do so.
Popular parental mistakes
Parental mistakes sometimes make the situation worse and prevent the child from getting used to the pot. What exactly should not be done:
- Build a real feast out of the successful use of the pot. Assess the independence of the crumbs and remind that using a pot is much nicer than walking in wet pants and wiping the floor.
- To set your watch for hours to sit on the pot or sit it down every 10 minutes. There is no need to constantly impose on the little one the idea of the need to master the toilet skills. The child will begin to ask for the toilet himself if you build your training correctly.
- Believe and shame the child for “punctures”. A two year old can realize herself that he or she has done badly, and an additional negative reaction from close adults will only increase guilt and slow down the learning process.
- Train your baby if he or she or someone in the family is unwell or has recently been ill.
- Training if you plan to move or have recently moved. Kids need to feel safe in a new place before they can develop new skills.
Each kid will sooner or later master the pot, so you just need to be patient and use different methods until you find the best way to learn. With the right approach to training, it is possible to teach a toddler to use the toilet in just a few weeks.
How do I get a kid used to a potty? Tips for parents
How to accustom a child to a pot is a topical issue for all parents. At what age should I start, how should I do it, are there any universal recipes for teaching my child to use the toilet and what do the experts recommend?
What age is the age to start potting?
Partners have different opinions about the age of the child, which can already be used to potting. Some people start at 8-9 months old and say their children have learned how to use the toilet, and we will disappoint you with it.
We will disappoint you – even one year old children are not ready to control their toilet urges yet. They still have reflexes working, especially if parents accompany the attempts to get used to the pot with constant “pee-pee” and “a-a”.
These sounds are crumbs and learn to react, but the understanding that you want to empty, will come later.
Usually, the desire to use the toilet cannot be controlled until 18 months of age, and all children have different ways of doing it: it is important to take into account their development.
Mom and daddy is important, setting the goal of accustoming the child to the pot, not to be guided by someone's opinion – it's time, the neighbor's Serezha as early as 10 months to ask, and our one and a half years in the diapers go.
Someone's child speaks already in the year, but it does not have to be able to all the annual children.
Your child will definitely learn toilet skills, but when – you have to decide for yourself, without listening to grandmothers, neighbors and girlfriends.
Physical norms of addiction to the control of emptying are age limits from 22 to 30 months. By the age of 3, the child is already developing stable conventional reflexes.
It is optimal to start getting to know the pot at the age of about 2 years, if the child already knows and can do the following:
- understands the speech of Mom and Dad;
- knows the names of body parts and clothing;
- realizes the meaning of the words “to pee” and “to poop”;
- strives (or already can) undress on his own;
- is able to stay dry for at least 2 hours;
- and it walks around at about the same time;
- shows his dissatisfaction if diapers (panties) are wet or dirty;
- can show his desires with words, sounds, gestures, mimics.
- Pay attention not to the color but to the shape of the pot: For girls, round models and boys, oval models, you can go ahead with a protrusion;
- take into account the size: The baby's butt should be comfortable to sit;
- in order not to sit on a cold pot and not to discourage the child from using it, do not take ceramic and iron objects. Prefer quality plastic;
- to avoid the risk of falling off the pot, choose a stable model, and for the baby to be comfortable, the presence of the backrest will not hurt;
- Pots with a removable lid will be useful for you when travelling;
- Don't be tempted by models with all sorts of light and musical effects – the pot is not a toy, the child should perceive it as a tool to help guide natural needs;
- instead of a pot you can use a special child seat on the toilet, but the pot is still more comfortable – it can be planted anywhere, and in the beginning it is important.
- The change of scenery – moving, babysitting, going to kindergarten
- this sometimes happens during the crisis of three years;
- refusal can cause parents' quarrels
- Exposure of teeth, other painful conditions distract the child from the pot.
If your child has this skill set, you can try to get him used to the pot. But be patient – the process may not be as easy as you'd like it to be.
Pick a pot for the baby
Before trying to get your baby used to the pot, this item should be purchased, taking into account some recommendations:
How to accustom your child to the pot – your correct actions
Tries to accustom your child to the pot may not be successful immediately – you need to have enough time.
Single mother is difficult to control all the time during the first days of getting used to it, it's better to do it with the help of a father or grandmother.
Your child should be healthy, a sick baby will be capricious, and what kind of pot can we talk about then?
It's good if you learn toilet skills in the warm season – less clothes and dries faster after washing. And you'll have to do it often at first.
Please take off your diapers before you start to teach your child to use the pot – give your child the opportunity to study their body, understand why they need a pop and sex organs.
Details should gradually come to an understanding of the connection between defecation and subsequent actions.
Pot should be placed in the children's room so that it is always in plain sight, explain to the child why he is needed, play – the doggy wants to pee, let's put it on a pot.
Ask the baby to sit on it.
And keep an eye on your baby and you'll see signs that it's time to sit down (it's quiet, it's quagmire, it's tense).
All right, praise your baby. After several successful attempts, the child will begin to understand what they want from him.
In offering a pot, sentence – bunny, let's pee in the pot. Why do we need a pot – there you need to write and poop, then panties will be clean and dry.
Trying to accustom the baby to the pot, try to plant it before bed and after it, before a walk, after a meal, before bathing.
“Accidents” will still happen, don't scold the children, but remind them that we have a miracle pot to go to the toilet.
Draw your child's attention to all the activities related to this object – offer to open the pot, remind them to take off their panties before you sit down, show them where to pour the contents of the pot, how to wash it, close it.
The whole process is usually of interest to children, reminiscent of the game.
This is not a good idea to give up diapers at all. They can be used at night when the baby's asleep, on a walk, while traveling.
If you couldn't get used to the pot right away
If you tried to get your child used to the pot successfully, and after a while he went back to pants or bed again, don't be discouraged, scolded or ashamed of the baby.
You may have been in a hurry – your child is not yet quite ready to use the pot consciously. Wait a couple of months and try again.
And while you forget about the pot, resort to little tricks – the boy offer to pee in the toilet, like Dad, buy him a small stool to be comfortable.
In general, it is good for a child to see how urination and defecation take place using the example of an older child or parent.
Girls can be allowed to pee in the bathtub or basin.
All you need to do is to offer a new toy that can only be played during the drop-off.
There are other reasons why children who are already accustomed to the pot begin to refuse it:
In any case, it is important for parents to understand the reason why the baby doesn't want to use the pot. It determines when and what actions to take to reacquire.
How to give up a diaper
If you've already managed to get your child used to the pot and he's happy to use it at home, you can try to do without a diaper on the walk. Better, of course, if it happens in the summer.
To walk your baby to go to the toilet, do not want to – do not force.
Take your spare clothes. You may have to grab a pot if the baby refuses to walk in the bushes.
When you walk, don't swear, explain what happened: did you play and forget about the pot? The panties are wet, aren't they? Let's ask you next time.
Change the baby. If a child asks for it, be sure to praise him. Come home – don't forget to plant on the pot.
When your child learns to endure the whole walk.
There are fast methods of teaching children toilet skills, such as Gina Ford's “Voluntary Kid” and “Potting in one day”. Nathan Ezrina and Richard Fox