How to use the pregnancy test: types of tests, how to choose and how to use
How to use the pregnancy test correctly?
The most common misleading pregnancy test result is obtained by women who have neglected the rules for the use of this type of test. Therefore, to minimize the likelihood of getting the wrong result, you need to follow all the points in the instructions for the use of the purchased pregnancy test.
Bear in mind that when conducting the test a few days before the delay of menstruation, it is necessary to use only the first morning urine, as it is more concentrated, and the second strip may appear now slightly.
From the first day of the delay, any fresh urine can be used for a rapid pregnancy test.
Bear in mind that you should not use a lot of liquid or diuretics on the eve of the test.
1) carefully open the test package and take out the test strip;
2) collect urine in a clean container, preferably the first morning one;
3) holding the test strip at the colored end, vertically immerse it in a container with freshly collected urine to the mark │← MAX for 10 seconds.
Do not immerse the test strip deeper than this mark.
Test strip – Instructions in pictures
4) after this time, take out the test strip from the liquid and put it on a horizontal dry surface;
5) after 3-5 minutes (but not later than 10 minutes) evaluate the result. A control strip should appear during this time, and a second test strip should appear in case of pregnancy.
The appearance of even a weak second strip within the first 3-5 minutes is considered a sign of early gestation.
The change in the result after 10 minutes is not taken into account, even if the second strip disappears or is vice versa.
1) remove the test cassette and pipette from the individual package;
2) collect the urine in the container that is usually included;
3) collect the liquid (collected urine) from the container in the pipette;
4) drop a drop from the pipette into the oval window of the test cassette 4 drops of urine;
Table pregnancy test
5) place the test cassette on a horizontal surface;
6) in 3-5 minutes in the second (larger) window the result will appear.
The result remains valid only for the first 10 minutes.
1) remove the test module from the package;
2) remove the protective cap from the cassette test;
3) place the open end of the test under the running urine stream, trying to keep the test slightly upright, with the test receiver down;
As well as if it is more convenient for you, instead of point 3 you can collect urine in a clean dry container and vertically lower the absorbent part in the urine for 15-20 seconds.
Stringing pregnancy test
4) put the protective cap back on;
5) put the test on a horizontal surface;
6) after 3-5 minutes (but not later than 10 minutes) looking at the window, evaluate the result. Depending on the test company, either a strip (one or two) or a sign “+” or “-p>
If there is no strip in the window, it means that the test was performed incorrectly or the absorbent part of the test was not enough urine. Do all the instructions again, only with a new pregnancy test.
Caution! During and after testing, do not turn the receiver upside down!
Instruction for an electronic pregnancy test
Procedure to conduct an electronic pregnancy test similar to a jet test:
1) remove from the digital test box;
2) remove the protective cap;
3) for 5 seconds, place the open edge of the dough under the running urine stream, holding the dough slightly vertically, with the receiving part of the dough down, and trying not to wet the rest of the dough;
4) as soon as the hourglass symbol appears on the screen, it means that the test was performed correctly and the result is processed;
5) after 3 minutes the display will show a sign “+” or “-” (in some tests “Pregnant” / “Pregnant” or “Not pregnant” / “Not pregnant”), and in the case of confirmation of pregnancy under the sign “+” will be displayed the expected pregnancy term (1-2 weeks, 2-3 weeks, 3 +).
Encrypting the digital pregnancy test result
After 24 hours, the screen will stop displaying the result. Some manufacturers release reusable electronic pregnancy tests with removable cartridges.
Tank Test System Instruction
1) Remove the test system from its packaging;
2) Collect urine in the tank;
3) Evaluate the test result after 3-5 minutes on the side of the test strip.
The test strip built into the tank body absorbs only the required amount of liquid, even if there is more liquid in the tank than required.
If the test is positive, it is necessary to apply to a women's clinic soon in order to be registered.
In case of a negative result and absence of menstruation in due time, it is necessary to consult a gynecologist to find out the reasons for the absence of monthly menstrual excretions.
How to use the pregnancy test
Women used to learn how to determine their interesting position by physiological traits. They were oriented to the delay of menstruation and listened to the inner feelings. But most of the time, you could have known about pregnancy at least 3-4 months later when the stomach began to grow.
For today, science has developed a fairly reliable and, at the same time, very simple way to establish the delicacy of the female position – a diagnostic system that determines whether you are pregnant or not, with an accuracy of 98%, in a matter of minutes. Originally these were strips, but over time there have been many different products that promise to establish a pregnancy even at an early date.
This system is convenient – the analysis is done anonymously, in a comfortable environment and on any day. They are also available to every woman.
How to do a pregnancy test at home, how do these devices work? How to interpret the result, what kind of test would you prefer? Why do even the most expensive ones miss? We're gonna figure this out.
How the pregnancy test works
Any such diagnostic system, regardless of appearance and price, works on the same principle – it detects human choriotic gonadotropin (hCG) in the urine sample.
This substance is produced by the embryo chorion, thanks to which the yellow body of the pregnancy produces the hormone progesterone, which prevents any contraction of the uterus, and thus preserves the fetus.
Gonadotropin also stimulates the production of a number of other hormones that contribute to the correct development of the fetus at an early stage.
HCGF level during pregnancy varies depending on a number of factors, but on average, sensitive tests can determine its presence only 1-2 weeks after the attachment of the fetal egg to the uterine wall.
The absorbent material is treated with a reagent that can react with gonadotropin, which is removed from the body of a woman with urine. If there's a reaction, there's a hCG in the sample, the answer is yes. Well, there's no trial.
Now that the diagnostic systems work the same way, the tests themselves are quite different. Today there are five types of analyzers:
- Steer test (strip). This is the most popular and cheapest sample. It is a paper or fabric strip impregnated with a reagent. Sensitivity is limited to 25 mMU/ml. The accuracy is 90% on the first and 95-100% on the seventh day of the delay.
- Table. This device is a plastic plate with two windows, one for taking a urine sample and the other for displaying the result. Sensitivity varies within the range of 10-25 mME/ml, their accuracy is slightly higher than that of “strips”.
- –Strusive pregnancy test-. The system consists of a reception area and a window of the result, the base with the reagent is enclosed in a plastic case. Sensitivity starts at 10 mMU/mln
- Electronic (digital). It may look like a tablet or jet test, but the result is displayed on the digital display, which eliminates the doubts associated with the brightness of the strips. Highly sensitive, 51% accurate 4 days before the delay, 82% three days before the delay, 95% for the day and up to 99% for the first day of no menstruation.
- Multiuse system. Looks like such a “device” as a flash drive, has a set of 20 disposable cartridges for analysis. The results are more than detailed and are read when the unit is connected to a computer via USB port. This system gives the most detailed picture up to the birth date if the pregnancy test is positive.
Which is the best choice
There are two points of view on this issue – medical and female. From a medical point of view, it doesn't matter how much the analyzer will cost or look like. Because the only reliable study of your curiosity is still considered by physicians to be ultrasound.
Female respondents also do not have a specific answer, depending on the goals you pursue:
- “Stripes” are the cheapest, to buy such a test for a second check will not be a problem for your wallet. If you do analysis after the delay, following the instructions, it is quite enough.
- Plates are considered more accurate due to the fact that when using them it is more difficult to do something wrong, and the reagent is protected by a cover, but they are slightly more expensive than “strips”.
- Strong are good for ease of use (“tamper” is almost impossible), accuracy. But the price is a little higher.
- Electronic are accurate, they do not force you to look into the stripes, issuing the final verdict in the form of + or -, “pregn” or “no pregn”, but they also stand fairly.
- Multi-disposable systems are hard to find, they are expensive, but if you need to repeat testing more than once and super-precision is important, this is the ideal option.
Besides, even the reviews about the quality and accuracy of the same tests are so different that it is impossible to recommend 100% a company or a type of system.
Instructions on how to use different pregnancy tests
Basically, the validity of the analysis result depends not so much on the diagnostic system itself as on the woman's ability to use it. One wrong action – and the verdict automatically becomes invalid. Therefore, it is important to understand how to use each specific pregnancy test correctly.
It is important! The question of whether a pregnancy test is mandatory in the morning using the first urine is of great importance. Despite the fact that manufacturers of some products allow to do the test at almost any time of the day, the verdict of the experts is one – yes, it is obligatory. It is in the morning urine that the level of gonadotropin is the highest, and it is much easier for the analyzer to catch it.
Analysis requires such a strip and a clean cup. The strip should be in a hermetically sealed blister, so you don't need to get it out before the time. The algorithm is as follows:
- Write in a cup.
- Open the blister and pull out the strip, holding it by the colored edge.
- Lower the strip in the cup with urine to the strip labeled “Max”.
- Count to 5 (or 10, depending on the instructions).
- Place the strip on a dry surface that does not absorb moisture.
- Wait 3-5 minutes (exact waiting times also vary from manufacturer to manufacturer).
- Count the result.
Analysis requires a tablet packed in its original packaging, a clean cup and a pipette. The last part comes with the tester. And further on the list:
- Print in a glass.
- Print a tablet and put it on a horizontal surface.
- Pick up a few drops of urine from the cup with a dropper, move the dropper to the tablet and drop a few drops into the receiving cell.
- Wait 1-3 minutes (again, it depends on the company and the instructions).
- Estimate the result.
This is incredibly simple. Only the test itself and the correct sequence of actions are needed:
- Print the test.
- Write by placing the analyzer's receiver under the urine stream.
- Wait 1-3 minutes (see specific manufacturer's instructions).
- Look at the result.
Digital and reusable test
All the algorithms of actions remain the same as with the above types of analyzers. But you don't really need to read the result – digital will show everything on the display, reusable – on the computer monitor. Besides, it is impossible to give a general instruction in the question of such “smart” tests – high accuracy is characterized by high specification of the device.
Interpretation of pregnancy test results
If “smart” analyzers tell you yes or no at once, the usual ones force you to interpret your testimony. There are four possible scenarios:
- No stripes. If you did everything right and no stripes appear, the system is faulty.
- One stripe. If you see one clear strip, you are not pregnant.
- Two bright strips. If two clear, bright stripes appear after the analysis, you are pregnant.
- One stripe is bright, the second is pale. This situation arises when the outcome is doubtfully positive. You're probably pregnant, but the hCG concentration in your urine is low. It's better to repeat the analysis in a couple of days or go for an ultrasound.
False results and their causes
Many women are concerned, for various reasons, about whether the pregnancy test may be wrong. Yes, it is possible that the manufacturers themselves reserve the right to make mistakes in the system, which is always indicated on the packaging or in the instructions. The main reasons for the errors are:
- Technical side. The analyzer may be rejected, expired. Its storage conditions may be violated.
- Procedural side. You may be careless about the analysis, hold or override the strip in the cup, use stale urine, or fix the result too soon or too late.
- Biological side. Some pathological processes in the body are characterized by an increase or decrease in the amount of hCG in urine, in which case the results of the analysis will also not be reliable, and will not be associated with pregnancy.
Tips & Warnings
- If you're in a hurry to dispel your doubts and worry about whether you can do a pregnancy test day or night, yes, you can if the manufacturer permits it. Some systems are accurate enough for that. But, according to experts, only morning analysis will give you the most probable result.
- When buying an analyzer, be sure to check the expiration date, tightness of the package and the availability of a certificate for the product. It is best to make a purchase at a pharmacy.
- Before the procedure is performed, be sure to read the instructions for use of the diagnostic system carefully.
- Estimate the result strictly within the specified period of time.
If the system is of good quality, you are 100% sure that you have done everything right and the result is questionable – contact a women's clinic.
Reasons for incorrect readings may vary, it is better to check your body for possible pathologies.
How to use the pregnancy test – a video
This video briefly and clearly explains the principles of the pregnancy test and how to use it correctly. The “Answer” diagnostic system demonstrates the process of reading analysis results common to strips, tablets and jets.
Modern pharmaceutical companies produce a huge range of pregnancy tests, ready to meet any criteria of buyers.
Someone is important cheap, someone needs convenience in use, someone needs high accuracy of analysis.
Correct use of any type of diagnostic system is the key to the accuracy of the answer to the most important question in each girl's life about whether she is pregnant.
How to use the pregnancy test: whether it can be done in the evening or in the morning, how to use it properly at home, instructions
Modern pharmaceutical market offers a large number of different types of pregnancy tests, differing in sensitivity and price categories. But many young women are interested in the main issues: “When it's possible to use pregnancy detection tests and how to choose from a variety of really good and reliable tests?
How to use the pregnancy test
When is the best time to do a pregnancy test? To answer this question, it is necessary to understand the principle of action of these “helpers” of the expectant mother. The fact that pregnancy is accompanied by a change in the hormonal background of the woman: the production of some hormones decreases and increases – others.
It is from the moment when the fertilized egg is attached to the uterine wall of the uterus begins to play an important role in the hormone of pregnancy – chorionic gonadotropin. The main task of the tests is to confirm or exclude the presence of hCG hormone in a young woman's urine with the help of a staining reagent applied to the test strip.
The specialists recommend to carry out the test in the first days of menstruation delay. But if a woman still cannot wait to see two cherished stripes, then it is necessary to start from the day of ovulation – the release of a mature ovule from the ovaries.
In a regular menstrual cycle of ovulation usually occurs in the middle of the cycle (the beginning of the cycle – the first day of the previous period). So, with a 28-day cycle, 14 days. In the case of 30 days – on day 15.
In normal circumstances, the fertilized egg is fixed on the uterus surface after 6 – 8 days.
But in the early stages, hCG levels are too low to be detected in the home using tests, so it is best to test a few days before the expected menstruation.
If a woman wants to know if conception has occurred or not as soon as possible, she can take a blood test from a vein in the lab.