How to teach a child to dress independently
How to teach a child to dress independently
articles: From the age of 3, the child starts a period called “I am! This aspiration of the child can be wrapped up for the benefit of parents and the crumbs themselves. This is a great age for learning to collect toys, use cutlery and dress yourself.
This skill is recommended before your child enters kindergarten. It will be quicker and without any caprice to gather in the morning, besides, you will greatly simplify the life of teachers.
Yes, and the crumb itself will feel more confident and mature compared to many of its peers.
Skills of children under 6 years old
Teaching a child to dress is not as difficult as it seems, here the main thing is to regularly study and engage the baby. Don't push or push the crumb, it's a skill that's gradually being formed. According to the well-known doctor and teacher M. Montessori, it is necessary to help the child to do it on their own.
The newborns and babies are fully clothed by their parents. The baby can take off its hat or socks at 1 year of age. Since the age of 2, the baby has been able to wear them, and he has also learned to take off his panties, pantyhose, and pants without the help of his parents.
At the age of 3, the child's skill expands: – He puts on a hat, socks, vest (he can't button his buttons yet).
– He takes off and puts on his underwear and pants.
– He's wearing boots, shoes (velcro).
– He's pulling his jacket and shirt together.
From 4 years of age, except for the skills described above, the child zips up the buttons on his clothes, pulls up a jumper or T-shirt, puts on pants, can undress completely. If four-year-olds still need help from their parents, then from the age of 6 to 7 the child dresses and undresses on his or her own.
But without regular training, the baby will not be able to do it on his or her own. Therefore, in order for a preschooler to master this skill by the time he or she is 5-6 years old, start preparing it from an early age.
Teach your child to dress while playing
The older the child, the more he or she can take on while dressing. Learning to undress is a lot easier for him than getting dressed. So, first of all, form a stripping skill. The hardest thing for a crumb is to learn how to fasten buttons, zippers and other fasteners. So plan your training when you have a lot of time.
Show your baby how to unbutton the buckles, but be prepared for the fact that he can't do it right away. The question of how to teach a child to dress independently at 2-3 years old, and whether it is possible, is quite relevant among young parents. It's possible to have patience and plan time to train every day.
We'll learn to dress a child:
– By 1 year of age, place your child's favorite items in a box, place them in their area of access. First the baby's just gonna look at them and then try them on. – Use children's love of transformation to improve their skills. You can buy a suit of a doctor or nurse together with a toy first aid kit, fairy, fireman, snowflake, pirate or your favorite superhero. It is also possible to use improvised means: a white mother's blouse will become a doctor's robe, and a cap and vest will be a fasting suit. During the game, the child dresses on their own, without even noticing it, as captured by the plot. – Buy or make toys with your own hands for the development of fine motor skills of your fingers. If you decide to make it at home, sew on one half of the fabric large and medium buttons, zippers, velcro, buttons, hooks, and to the other part of the fabric sew the second part of the fasteners, and for buttons make a slot loop. Sit next to the baby and show him how to handle each clasp. Then ask him to try and button them up and unbutton them himself. – Ask your child to fantasize while you're gathering for a walk. Imagine you're not going to a park or playground, but to space or a treasure island. Tell them that it is not a boy or girl who is going outside, but an astronaut who is preparing to fly or a pirate who is preparing to swim. Set the time on the timer, for example, 5 minutes before the young astronaut can put on all the “equipment”. If the child did it on time, give him the prize. This is a great way for parents who don't know how to teach their child how to dress on their own at age 4. -Attach a speed dressing competition. Explain to your baby in advance that you need to get dressed completely, arrange his or her things next to each other. Be sure to succumb to the crumb for the first time, so that he is not upset, otherwise he will not want to train anymore. If there are several children in the family, arrange a competition between them, and then let everyone compete with one of the parents. When the baby will be able to quickly pull things on themselves, complicate the task – now you need to dress quickly and neatly. These simple techniques will help the child to master the dressing skills faster and enjoy the process.
You should teach your baby to undress before preparing for dressing. Let him take off his hat, pull up his socks, turn his tights on his face.
And don't help him right away if the crumbs don't make it, let him become more independent and learn how to cope.
If the child is having trouble and is already getting cranky, help him a little, but don't do all the work yourself.
– Many babies get nervous when they see a lot of clothes. To make things easier, divide things into two parts: one you wear and the other the child. Give him one item at a time – first pants, then a jacket, and then a jumpsuit. Do so until the baby starts dressing completely by himself. – Prepare a cheat sheet for the baby. Draw posters that show how to put things on and hang them on the wall in the nursery. Next to the floor or bed, arrange your clothes in the correct order. Explain to your child to look at the poster from time to time to see if they are doing the job right. With a cheat sheet like that, the kids dress themselves. – Get your stuff ready for tomorrow night from tonight. This is especially important during the cold season. Pick up the morning kit together, fold the jacket, trousers or dress with tights in order. – Many children can't remember where the front and back of their clothes are. To make it easier for him, buy things with pockets, drawings that are placed in front. If you know how to sew or knit, then make embroidery or applique on the front side of a T-shirt or dress. If you are far from needlework, simply attach a brooch or a bright icon to the front. It's easier for kids to wear T-shirts and socks if they're bigger than necessary. It's also true for a sweater with narrow necks. During the training, buy larger items so that the child of 2-3 years old can stretch his or her neck and stretch his or her sleeves. – Be flexible while you're learning to dress, don't make it an obligation. Sometimes it's enough to replace a red T-shirt with a green one or a dress with a sundress to avoid whimsical, hysterical and bad moods. Sometimes it happens that a child flatly refuses to dress on his own. Give up on him, maybe he's not feeling well because he hasn't slept well. In this case, you can say that the mother wears the right side of the clothes, and the child – the left side. – Pick up your stuff with the baby. Go to the store together, periodically check the contents of the cabinets, when choosing a set, take into account the opinion of a young fashionist. You shouldn't criticize their ideas, even if things aren't picked up right. Simply explain to him that these colors do not match, it is too hot or cold outdoors for the chosen clothes. These guidelines will help parents if the child cannot dress.
Often inexperienced parents make mistakes in dressing training: – If the child learns to undress, then do not stop training, as the process of cutting and dressing are closely related. Teach your little one more so that he can become self-sufficient faster. – Not all parents know that you have to plan your dressing time with reserve.
Many of them are in a hurry to work in the morning, and the child dresses slowly, then they wear it in a hurry, serving the desire to learn. You need to get up early (40 – 60 minutes) to give the baby time to cope with the clothes. – Many mothers take care of their children and help them in every possible way, including with dressing. There is no need to interfere in the process.
Help is only needed as a last resort when a child asks you to do so.
-Some parents, on the other hand, demand that the child should not be left alone, they scold him or her and they demand that he or she should dress only on his or her own. It's important to stay close by, tell him what to do and how to do it, and if necessary, help him.
Be sure to show your baby how to wear a T-shirt or jacket, tell him how to do it more easily. If the child dressed himself, but not very carefully, then do not criticize him, be sure to praise and correct the shortcomings. Sometimes the child doesn't want to dress because things are uncomfortable, like unpleasant to touch or have stitches.
So if you notice that the child is capricious and doesn't want to wear a jacket or dress, check it out and find a more suitable option. As you can see, it is possible to teach a child of 2-4 years old to be patient and train regularly. When you're a child, develop fine hand motility, go on to strip later, and then learn to dress.
Be flexible, stay close by, but don't interfere until the crumb asks for it. Work out daily, believe me, it will take at least 1 hour a day, and the result will please you.
Make an appointment to see a doctor in your city
Clinics in your city
Latest materials of the section:
Puppet house with their own hands made of plywood, boxes, paper, felt
Every little girl has her favorite dolls, who just need a large beautiful house. Of course, you can buy a toy apartment, but their cost is sometimes very high …
Live sand for children
Many children just love to play in the sandbox, sculpt kulichiki, different figures, build houses and real castles. But when winter comes or just rains, about sandy fun…
Ball plasticine: crafts for children
Ball plasticine is a very popular, bright and unusual mass for modeling. It consists of small balls, which are connected by thin glue threads. From this material…
How to teach a child to dress independently?
Many parents bring their child to the garden in the morning and watch the same picture: some kids, having changed their clothes and changed their clothes quickly, run away to the group, while others sit on the bench melancholy, not helping their mother or father to change their blouse, pants or slippers in any way. If in the nursery this is not a global problem yet, as all the staff – both educators and nannies – help the kids to dress, then in the older groups of the baby-sitter will experience some discomfort against their more independent peers.
4-5-year-old who does not dress himself, become a problem for the teacher in a large group and himself, as he constantly goes for a walk last and fairly sweaty. How to teach a child to dress on their own? Take a few practical tips.
Age and independence
Usually the first steps to independence of the child are usually associated with a crisis of 3 years, when the child expands the boundaries of their own “I” and tries to break away from their mother. At this time, his main phrase is “I am myself!”.
Experienced parents recommend that you take advantage of this stage of development and teach the baby to strip and dress himself. The best way to do this is by competing with a child who removes his or her hat, jacket or trousers more quickly.
Psychologists advise to give in to the child in the early stages so that he or she feels the taste of victory and a positive attitude from the game of independence.
Learn to dress and undress in several stages. The first step is the easiest one, it's undressing. Tiny is easiest to take off the hat without ties, pull off free pants, pantyhose, panties. It is desirable to voice all its actions, but not in the form of commands, but in the form of proposals, involving follow-up actions: “
Much heavier for the baby's next step is to take off his sweater, T-shirt and any other thing that goes over his head. Therefore, choosing clothes for the garden, it is desirable to take golf, a jumper with a wide throat, so that the crumbs were not afraid of getting stuck in a sweater.
In the first period of learning to dress and undress, you can choose things free, even the size of more, so that the baby could easily take them off and dress himself. Over time, he or she will like to change quickly, independent of adults and their help.
Although the final stage of the child's life is over, he or she needs to learn how to put on his or her own shoes and outerwear. It's usually hard for little kids to cope with zippers on jackets and boots, ties on hats.
How can I help the non-straighter
But what can I do if my baby is 3 years old or older and doesn't want to dress on his own, causes scandals and hysteria in the mornings during the training camp and in kindergarten? First of all, moms and dads need to calm down and understand the reasons for this behavior, talk to tutors and a psychologist in the garden, who will hold useful consultations for parents. Remember that changing clothes for a child is a difficult job, and if he can't do it, he's trying to get rid of it.
What's heaviest for the baby is the clasps on the jacket, buttons.
You can buy or make your own home a few simple simulators: attach buttons of different sizes to a piece of fabric, make loops under them and play with the child at a speed that is faster than all their fasteners.
You can also practice who will zip faster, and classic laces will also be useful. Playing these games, you can simultaneously “kill two birds”: on the one hand, we teach your baby useful skills, and on the other hand, we train fine motor skills.
There are times when a child who has already dressed and undressed on his or her own as if he or she were losing his or her skills in the family, refuses to dress on his or her own and demands that he or she, as a younger brother or sister, be undressed and dressed by his or her parents.
Psychologists say this is a way of showing jealousy among children. It can be handled by talking to the older child, during which you need to focus his attention on all the benefits of his age and position.
For example, the baby at 3-4 years old can already eat candy and ice cream, but the younger brother can not, the older one can go to the movies with Dad, and the younger one is not yet.
The educator observes that such behaviour is most often found in families with children with little difference in age and in the family circle, and in the garden such children usually behave as before and dress quite independently.
We'll learn to dress fun and fast
Each mother, especially a working mother, wants her baby to go to the garden in the morning quickly and without caprice, and in the evening to fold her clothes neatly. This will be the case as the child grows up, but you need to try a little harder and help the child learn the science of independent dressing and undressing.
To simplify the task and teach the child to dress as quickly as possible, you need to go through several steps together with him/her.
Mom or Dad, while dressing the child, should say in detail all the processes and things: “Now we will put on pants, large pockets should be on the butt, and the little ones on the legs on the sides” and so on for all the things. This will allow the toddler to remember the basic rules of clothing more quickly.
2. Step two: Choose by yourself. You need to give your baby the right to choose the clothes he or she wears in the garden. Parents can pick up a couple of outfits for the weather and ask their child which jacket will suit him best for tomorrow. In this way, you can avoid whims and make your child feel independent.
3. Step three: “halfway”. Begin the process of getting the child dressed by dressing himself with clothes. Even a 1.5-2 year old can take off his panties, pantyhose, trousers, socks, hat. Then you need to teach him how to unbutton buttons or zippers on sweaters.
A little more difficult with the reverse process: dressing. Experienced mothers also advise to start this process from the bottom: you can put panties, pantyhose or trousers on the baby, but only to the knees, and offer him to pull them further on the ass.
You can also do the same with T-shirts and jumpers-to help you prolong your head and let the handles go by themselves.
4. Step four: “Layout”. Prepare your clothes for the garden best from the evening.
In order for a baby to dress herself, she needs to be placed in the chair in the order of putting on: panties and T-shirt on top, then pantyhose, sweater, pants.
Baby stuff is better to buy bright, jumper and T-shirts – with the picture in front, so it will be easier for the baby to understand where in front of and where the back, and not to put on pants or sweaters backwards, forward or shivorot-ups.
5. Step five: fold neatly. It's important to teach your child to carefully remove and fold their things, then you won't have to spend precious minutes in the morning looking for pantyhose or socks.
Show your child how to fold trousers, how to take them to the back of a chair or shoulders in a wardrobe, how to fold shirt or golf sleeves beautifully.
These skills will be useful in kindergarten when undressing for sleeping during the “quiet hour”.
Many useful tips from experienced moms
- You don't need to aim for your child to start dressing up on their own instantly, to instill these skills better gradually, in a playful way, encouraging them for any achievement.
- In turn, parents should try to make it as easy as possible for them to grow up by choosing shoes and clothes according to age and skill. For 3-5 year old children it is better to choose shoes, velcro sneakers, rather than shoelaces. Trousers, jeans and jeans should preferably be chosen without zippers and buttons, the belt – on an elastic band and a wing.
- So beloved by many mothers golf courses with narrow and high necks can be a real challenge for a child who learns to dress on their own. Therefore, it is recommended to let the baby wear loose sweaters, sweatshirts with a wide neck at first.
- Also a problem for many babies is a quick zipper on jackets or jackets. Adults should help to insert the lock and show how to effortlessly guide the dog to the top. You can make your own home simulator and play with the baby in the game “Who's first to zip up”.
- The main thing in the process of learning the baby – it's patience and perseverance. It is worth a few times in the morning rush to dress his mother, and the child immediately realizes that you do not need to make an effort to dress up, and if he does it very slowly and inexperiently, then his mother herself will quickly dress him up. It's better to raise your baby a few minutes earlier and make sure he dresses himself.
- The problem for many kids is tying a hat. Autumn or warm spring can do without a hat, but winter can be a real challenge for the nervous system of parents, without the bandages that help to close their ears tightly. In this case, you can pick up the caps on the velcro, buttons, buttons. But the most reliable way to teach a child how to tie a wing. It's also possible to practice it on a home simulator or just by putting a hat on a doll.
Pano or later every child will start dressing on their own and it's up to the parents to make this process as enjoyable as possible for the baby.
We teach a child to dress without caprice and stress
At some point parents start to think about how to teach their child to dress. After all, the skills that are so useful in life, the crumb will have to learn with the help of adults. This is not always an easy process, it often takes a long time, but the result is worth it. The main thing is to be patient so that you don't discourage your baby from learning.
When and where do I start?
It's important not to miss the time, because it's easier to do it when a child is interested. About 2 years or so later, he's starting a period when all he's hearing from him is “me”. Karapuz tends to be independent, and if he supports his initiative, it will be much easier to teach him something.
Dress and undress for the baby are interrelated processes. But it's easier to get something off your chest, so that's where we can start. Already from one and a half years it is necessary to offer independently to steal from itself a cap and socks.
After two snapshots it is capable to cope and with other subjects of clothes. Parents should encourage even minor achievements, praise him.
When he starts to succeed, he will probably want to try and put something on himself.
Parents will have to be patient. At first, it will be difficult for a child to overcome the clasps, and it will be very slow for naughty fingers to do so.
If you hurry it up, scold it for slowness, the dressing of the crumbs will cause unpleasant associations and stress. Later on he will try to avoid it, giving to cope with the outfit to adults.
You don't have to hurry to fix the costume, especially if the defects are almost imperceptible.
Dress up is interesting
Of course, parents will have to help their child turn their shirt around or button their small buttons, but they will need to talk about what to do and how to do it.
To keep up the interest of a child who is only two or three years old, it is better to find something easy to put on. You can stretch your pants halfway so that the karapuz continues.
Perceiving this activity as a game, it will be faster to cope with more complex elements of clothing.
An obvious example can be shown with the help of toys. Children love to feed them, to put them to bed, you can also dress them up, especially dolls are suitable for this. Also useful are the items that are designed to develop fine motor skills.
For example, there is a wide range of shoelaces in stores. You can make them yourself. Sew on soft toys and clothes buttons, shoelaces and velcro.
To a rag to sew buttons of the different sizes, in another to make a loop – so the kid will have an opportunity to train and master a useful skill.
Don't forget about a personal example. The child seeks to look like an adult. Watching Mom or Dad dress up, he learns it himself. He'll love to dress up to race with his elders, choosing his wardrobe items from the sofa.
To keep the crumbs interesting, you can tell poems, sing funny songs, tell what's interesting outside. You can turn dressing into a game uniform. For example, imagine that legs are trains and they have to drive into tunnels (pants or pantyhose). After we put on the blouse, we can clap our hands when we put our pants on – sink our legs.
We choose simple clothes
It is important that the clothes that are intended for the baby are easy to put on. This will be useful for those who are interested in how to teach a child to dress on their own.
At 3 years old, he is already able to pull socks, pants, shoes, take off a blouse or T-shirt, unbutton the zipper.
But if the T-shirt will have a narrow neck, the child will have to make efforts, which he is not yet able to do in two or three years. That's why she has to be free enough. That includes sweaters.
As well as a problem with socks. Small items that sit neatly on a child's leg are difficult to put on with awkward handles. For this purpose, it's better to have a bigger one, with a loose gum. It is necessary to pick up correctly and boots.
Lace them up or tie laces at a crumb it will not be possible. Velcro shoes should be preferred: they just open, and it is easy to place the leg. Pants should also be simple, on an elastic band.
From overalls in this period it is better to refuse, as well as dresses with a clasp on the back.
Explain how to dress correctly
Explain how to wear things correctly. It's better to pull up your pants sitting down and get up only after your legs appear out of your pants. When putting on a T-shirt, the top must pass through the neck, otherwise you may get stuck. Most likely, this will have to be repeated more than once.
Partners should take into account the opinion of their children about the choice of clothes, even the very young ones, who are two or three years old. After all, it's much nicer to wear what you like, and these crumbs already have desires. You can offer to choose your own outfit for a walk. In order to avoid that the baby wants something out of season, it is better for parents to choose a few options and show the baby.
Often it happens that the baby is confused about the order in which to put on the items of clothing.
To make it easier to navigate, you can work together to make a poster: cut out the right pictures from magazines and stick them on a sheet of watman.
This will help crumbs remember what to wear, and distinguish the back from the pass will not be difficult if the front part is decorated with applique or visible pockets.
Partners should avoid mistakes
Well, when the baby's clothes are in the public domain and he or she can just go through and study them first and then try to pull them over. The desire to try them on can also cause the parents' things. They are easy to put on because of their large size, and this is how the need to look like mom and dad is realized.
In four years, children are able to undress completely, dress under the supervision of their elders, fasten and unbutton buttons. Even if the time of the first attempts at independence is missed, teaching a child will be a little more difficult, but of course it is possible. Most children can dress completely independently by the age of five. By this age, they are usually able to cope with laces.
All when the baby can do a lot, he still needs support and praise. Parents shouldn't make the following mistakes in the learning process.
- Don't drag out the learning curve, it's better to do it during the two to three year self-sufficiency period.
- If the crumb has already learned to undress, then don't stop there. This process is similar to dressing, so we need him to study further