What if at 3 years old the child does not say
The child at 3 years old does not say: what to do, how to teach him to talk
Why does a child aged 3 not speak or speak well
The first three years of his or her life is a critical period for speech development? If he doesn't say so by then, there's a sign of a problem that needs to be solved urgently.
The first three years of a baby's life is a critical period for speech development. It is during this period that you can do a lot of things if it has speech defects. If a child does not speak at 3 years of age, it is a sign of a big problem that needs to be solved urgently.
Why is this part of the child's life so important? By the age of 3, the areas of the brain responsible for speech matured, children master the main grammatical forms of the native language, its rhythm and main features, they accumulate a large active and passive vocabulary.
If by the time they are three years old they do not start the necessary corrective work, then it will take immeasurably more effort. Both moral and material.
According to research in the field of child physiology, they are easy to train during the formation of central nervous system functions. As the sensitive (favourable) period for intensive brain development lasts up to 5 years, much can be done now for speech development.
What a three-year-old should say if a child is 3 years old
If he or she does not say so, this is worrying even for those parents who have ignored such a delay at an earlier age.
Norm of children's speech development in 3 years:
- the active dictionary (words used by the baby) is from 250 to 1000;
- knows and names how old he is, boy or girl, his name, surname;
- begins to change, sometimes with errors, the words in the sentences of the genus, cases and numbers;
- The sentences pronounced by a three-year-old consist of at least 3 words;
- a kid is able to execute a multi-step instruction such as “put the machine in the closet”, “put the constructor on the table”, “put the book on the nightstand”;
- speech has a lot of adjectives, pronouns, adverbs;
- understands what “one” and “many” are, trying to count objects;
- some children say what they see or do when they play or do something alone;
- listens with interest to his understanding of literary works, considers pictures in children's books, remembers favorite poems and fairy tales, and tells them with pleasure to close people.
Analyze your child's speech, remember that all children develop on an individual route, and the older they get, the wider the range of skills that distinguish one child from another.
However, when children's speech development is significantly different from that of their peers, a diagnosis should be made with the help of qualified professionals and the reasons for this delay should be understood.
Signs of delay in speech development
The reason for parental alertness should not only be the mistakes made by the child in matching and changing words, in pronunciation of sounds. At this age, speech is the main means of communication between children and loved ones. If a child does not want to contact parents and other family members, if he or she expresses his or her requests with a mimicry or gesture, it is worthwhile to carefully evaluate his or her speech abilities.
Deficiency signals, if the child is 3 years old and speaks badly:
- he or she has a limited vocabulary consisting mainly of nouns, less often verbs, imitations, or babbling words.
- his conversations are similar to the speech of a foreigner whom few people can understand.
- When speaking sounds there is a large number of substitutions, distortions of sounds. For example, instead of sound [k], the sound [t] (the cat is the one) says when he speaks, his language is between the teeth;
- a kid speaks with phrases consisting of 1-2 words, with great reluctance repeats words or sentences after adults, or does not do it at all.
- cannot fulfill a simple request, does not respond to his or her own name, does not know how old he or she is;
If the reason for the child's speech lagging behind is a hearing loss, the child may not respond to the words addressed to him or her until he or she sees the speaker's face.
In an auditory pathology, it is necessary to start a hearing correction as soon as possible to make up for the time lost in the formation of children's speech.
The speech of such children is almost identical to that of their peers when properly taught after a year and a half.
When a child is silent or does not speak well in three years, this can be a symptom of various disorders. First, you should consult an otolaryngologist and a neurologist for an examination, a speech therapist, a defectologist and a psychologist. If a child doesn't talk for three years, it's not laziness or lack of education. It may have the following speech development problems:
- motor or sensory alalia;
- temporal speech delay;
- general speech underdevelopment (GID).
Every one of these pathologies, although exhibiting similar symptoms, requires a different corrective approach. Timely identified problem will allow to choose an individual lesson plan with a speech therapist, psychologist, pedagogue-defectologist.
The reasons for children's speech development may be the following:
- Chromosomal abnormalities, congenital diseases;
- inheritance, when several generations in the same family have a late onset of speech;
- pathology of pregnancy and childbirth;
- pedagogical neglect – not only in asocial families, where children are ignored, but also where he is madly loved and tried to fulfill all his whims and desires;
- diseases and brain injuries at an early age.
The most severe consequences are brain damage during intrauterine development, childbirth, and the first year of life.
How to help your child
When the child is 3 years old and doesn't talk, you should definitely ask how to work with him or her, how to teach him or her how to communicate.
The necessary recommendations on the formation of a speech environment will be given by specialists – speech therapist or speech therapist. Parents can do a lot with them to stimulate the development of a three-year-old's speech.
And, conversely, if you are indifferent to the opportunities and achievements of your child, professionals will be less able to help.
Stimulation advice for children's speech:
The child does not speak at 3 years of age: possible causes and prospects
Mental, emotional and speech development of our children goes through several successive stages. But they go through them differently, which creates confusion for concerned parents. There are certain norms against which neurologists and paediatricians can assess the development of crumbs.
However, they are significantly influenced by various factors: pregnancy and childbirth, lifestyle, and even the sex of the child. It is generally accepted that boys develop a little slower than girls and are more likely to have speech problems.
How do you know if a child at 3 years old does not speak at all or does it very badly?
Why is the child silent?
There is an opinion that there is no point in worrying up to 5 years of age if the child doesn't speak and there is no point in seeing speech therapists or speech therapists.
However, this is primarily due to the fact that these professionals often refuse to engage with very young children, because it is a rather difficult and specific job (they can not speak, and understand little, it is difficult for them to find and organize classes).
Parents, on the other hand, mistakenly believe that by the age of 5 everything will come to normal by itself. But here you should always keep in mind that speech problems do not go away by themselves, their causes need to be investigated and eradicated as soon as possible.
Then the chances of helping a child are much greater. Age 2-3 years is optimal for this.
But by the age of 5 years the child is at risk of getting a diagnosis of “delay in psycho-speech development”, because the delay in speech leads to a delay in the development of thinking, memory, attention.
Do not think that the constant “communication” of the baby with the TV will help him talk. Not at all. It is proven that the child learns to talk only during constant live communication with others.
What are the reasons why kids can't talk for long? They can be either physiological (caused by pathologies or abnormalities in the development of some organs or nervous system) or psychosocial (caused by “non-physical” factors).
- The most common cause is hearing loss. If a child can't hear the people around him, he won't be able to learn to speak for himself. Although it can distinguish between and navigate other sounds, parents are not aware of them for a long time.
- Disturbance of the oral cavity. These problems create a mechanical barrier to normal pronunciation. These can be enlarged adenoids, a short frenulum of the tongue, splitting the palate.
- This is a general developmental delay caused by the premature birth of the baby. The extent of the delay depends on the period of preterm birth and is accompanied by a delay in other areas (they also “mature” late).
- The inherited predisposition. If the child had relatives with delayed speech development, it is likely that the child will receive it in a more complicated form. Therefore, to think that the time has not come and the baby will talk after three years (and maybe four years), in this case a big mistake.
- Deflection in the development of the brain or nervous system. Such violations require the most serious and difficult identification and correction work.
Mental and social factors
- Teacher psychotype. Such children are immersed in themselves, in their thoughts and contemplative knowledge of the world. They always talk later.
- Lack of motivation. If a child is overprotected, running in front of him or her and in a hurry to do the slightest whim, he or she simply does not want to talk, because there is no need to do so: he or she will be provided with everything.
- Li>Lack of communication. If a child is often left to himself or brought up with words sparingly by his grandfather or grandmother, he simply lacks a speech example.
- Phenomenon of twins. Such children always start to speak later, because they understand each other very well and without words.
- Educational neglect. This is usually the case in dysfunctional families, where children are hardly ever brought up, and no one is involved with them.
Other reasons are also possible, and only a full examination of the child can help to identify them.
Subscribe to free closed-circuit broadcasting
How to develop your child PARMONICAL
LAUGHTER AND GET TO THE GIFT OF THE WEEKLY PLAYER
By clicking on the “Send request” button, I agree to the processing of personal data
Speech orientations and “alarm bells”
What should a child of 3 years of age achieve in terms of speech? The following is the norm today:
- vocabulary of the baby varies between 300 and 700 words, he can understand up to 1500 words;
- he speaks correct sentences of 3-5 words with subject and predicate, although there may still be errors in the coordination;
- the child uses nouns, verbs and adjectives;
- can name his name, sex, age;
- uses in speech generalizing words (clothes, dishes, animals);
- correctly pronounces most of the sounds, except for hissing, whistling, [p] and [l].
Often it happens that a child does not speak well, but understands, fulfills all requests, recognizes and responds to his or her loved ones, actively communicates and seems to develop otherwise at the peer level. Then the doctors say you don't have to worry yet.
When do you have to worry? The next thing you know, you're supposed to be watching:
- the child at 4 months does not show revival at the appearance of adults, does not smile, does not hum;
- by the time he was 7 months old, there were no first repetitive syllables in his speech;
- in 18 months, the crumb pronounced only syllables, not to mention words, did not understand references and simple requests;
- by the age of 2, its lexicon is only a few simple words;
- in 2.5 years, the baby pronounces no more than 20 words and does not make them up in sentences;
- does not know the names of the body parts by the age of 3 years, does not understand the simplest explanations;
- speaks “in his own language” (if at the age of 3 years a child can understand only his mother – it is not the norm).
Don't listen to a leisurely neighbor, whose son “spoke once in 5 years and it's okay”. So you're hopelessly wasting your time. Try to find the root of the problem before you lose time.
Waiting or not?
It has already been said that 2-3 years is the optimal age for correcting speech problems in children. The more you drag out the situation, the greater the consequences.
In any case, if the child is 3 years old and doesn't speak even the simplest sentences, it is a good reason to contact specialists.
It is important to conduct a comprehensive examination of the baby in pediatrician, neurologist, psychiatrist, otorhinolaryngologist, psychologist, speech therapist-defectologist. Specialists will prescribe various types of examinations for all areas of non-speaking child development. This way you can paint an accurate picture of what's going on, find the cause, and plan to fix it.
Parents need to be prepared for treatment to last a long time. But it's always more effective in the early stages. So be patient.
If you can't find a speech therapist or a speech therapist who specializes in working with young children, take care of your baby yourself. It'll be better than nothing anyway.
How to play with a non-verbal child?
The following tips will help parents to conduct developmental activities with a little silent person.
- It is important to talk to the child constantly, read a lot of fairy tales, funny stories, poems, accompanied by expressive intonations.
- Create situations in which a child has to turn to adults to explain what they want.
- Develop fine motor skills. Drawing, modeling, peas, beans, beads, zipping, zipping, buttons, buttons, and other similar activities with small objects will help to use the speech areas of the baby's brain.
- Speech development, surprisingly, promote pen massage and finger gymnastics (games for the development of flexibility and mobility of fingers and hands). These can be “Forty White-fronted”, “Ladushki”, “Shorned Goat” and other similar exercises.
- In game form you can imitate different sounds (animals, birds, natural phenomena, techniques). Imitate the rooster's scream, chicken clucking, rambling, cow mooing, wind noise, vacuum cleaner growling, car humming. It develops the articulation. To make the game more interesting, you can add clarity – pick up the appropriate pictures, look at them, imitating the sounds. It's good to do it in front of a mirror so the baby can see both his mother and himself at the same time. Over time, the pictures can become storylines (chicken calls for chickens, bear collects raspberries, car carries wheat).
- Play emotional games (bubbles, iron kittens, clap your hands, jump, play hide-and-seek). Anything that emotionally resonates helps to develop speech.
- Play funny poems on the move (e.g. the famous “Sticky Bear”).
- Always talk while walking. Draw the child's attention to everything that surrounds him or her, what changes in nature day after day, what different objects people go for, what they have built…
- Always praise the child, even if he or she has tried to do wrong – he or she has tried anyway! He needs your praise!
What to remember
To get your child interested, the best way to find interesting games that are understandable and age-appropriate, emotionally stimulating. It can be a game of movement, change of action, development of physical skills, role-playing games. To be productive, you need to remember a few rules.
- In the activities with a non-speaking child, the parent must take an active role: he or she organizes and conducts the game, attracts interest in the child, controls his or her condition.
- Adult accompanies the game with active speech: comments, describes all the stages, encourages the child to take action, praises. The adult's speech should be emotional, clear, understandable, calm, fun, not too loud or quiet.
- All exercises or games should take place in a warm, friendly atmosphere with frequent physical contact and constant support of the child.
- Adult must constantly monitor the progress of each game, constantly monitoring its beginning, middle and end, watching the mood, tiredness of the baby. The game continues as long as the child is passionate, cheerful and cheerful, and stops when he or she becomes distracted, capricious.
Special attention in such games should be paid to the way the speech accompaniment to them is “attached”. All speech instructions should be simple, clear.
Poems in such games should not be very long (it is better for an adult to memorize them). Their content should be age-appropriate, without excessive imagery, understandable, interesting.
Your speech should be a role model: correct, without distortion, clear, calm, energetic.
There is another important point to be aware of when building lessons with non-speaking children. All the skills acquired in the game, children learn by imitation. At the same time, the lessons are structured in such a way that the child learns the actions sequentially: first, the simplest, then more and more complex.
The sequence should be about this:
- simple movements (waving, footsteps, jumps);
- several simultaneous movements (cotton walking);
- logic games with objects or toys (e.g. take the machine, load dice into it, take it to the “warehouse”, unload it);
- games with poetic accompaniment (playing simple poems);
- occupations in playgrounds (climbing, swinging, slides);
- games aimed at teaching the correct use of objects (shoulder blades, buckets in the sandbox, dishes for feeding the doll).
According to all of these features, parents can arrange developmental activities with their children when they are unable to speak, so that they can bear the desired fruit. Remember, however, that the child will have to study for a long time. It is necessary to be patient, rejoicing even at a small achievement. Then it will be followed by more significant ones.
Why doesn't the child talk at 3 years old: reasons and methods of speech development
The first words of the baby become unforgettable moments in the life of the family! In addition, speech formation is evidence of a child's normal emotional and physical development.
But increasingly, there are cases in our society where children do not acquire communication skills up to school age.
Why is this happening? What do I do if my child doesn't talk at 3 years old? We will answer these and other questions regarding speech delay.
Mechanism of speech formation
Parently parents ask themselves at what age do babies start to speak? The process of formation of speech begins literally from birth and comes to an end approximately in 4 years when the preschooler already knows how to utter all sounds of the native language, and also to make words and to build coherent sentences. Later on, existing communication skills are improved and vocabulary expanded.
The following stages of speech formation are highlighted in specialized literature:
- Preparation (from birth to one year). Crying, to which the child draws attention and communicates his or her needs, as well as humming, is aimed at the training of the articulation apparatus and is a characteristic feature of a half-year-old child's speech. At the age of 10-12 months, the majority of babies are the first to please their loved ones with short, yet meaningful words.
- Pre-school stage (from one to three years) is characterized by active absorption of articulation of sounds, repetition of words for adults. During this period, the babies' words are still illegible, torn off. Nevertheless, the crumb of two or three years is already able to convey to the adult their requests and express emotions.
- Pre-school (three to seven years) stage. Up to four years old, most children are fully soundproofed. At this age, babies are already able to make up a coherent small story, actively communicate with other children and adults. By the age of five, children's vocabulary ranges from 4,000 to 6,000 words. If the child is 3-5 years old and does not speak, it is necessary to pay attention to it and consult with specialists.
- The school stage is characterized by improvement of speech, deepening of grammatical and morphological knowledge.
Cause of speech delay
Why doesn't the child talk at 3 years of age or later? The reasons for this can be divided into the following groups:
- physiological (hearing loss, congenital articulation disorders, CNS diseases);
- education deficiencies (pedagogical).
Like, if the child is 3 years old and does not speak well, the first thing to do is to examine your child for various diseases. Various tests and diagnostic techniques are available to determine the causes of PHD, based on the patient's age and anamnesis.
The baby doesn't talk at 3 years old? The reasons may be psychological. Unfavorable situation in the family, frequent quarrels, incorrect communication between adults and the child, physical punishment can lead to the fact that the baby “shut up” in his own cozy world. In this case, the need to communicate with others will diminish or disappear.
Wrong parenting can also lead to a child simply not needing to communicate.
By fulfilling all the desires of the child at the first call, without giving the child a chance to know the world and express his or her own opinion on his or her own, careless parents do not provide their child with a bearish service to the extent possible.
Children under excessive care of adults do not see the need to communicate – because they are already well understood. The older the child, the harder it is to solve the problem.
What is EST?
If a child is not talking at 3 years old, specialists can make a disappointing diagnosis – EST (Retarded Speech Development). It is impossible to determine the problem on your own because it requires a multi-component examination.
For example, experts will perform tests and analyses to determine the physical impairments, evaluate the volume of the dictionary, pronunciation, reactions to external stimuli, and determine the psychological state of the crumb.
If any serious abnormalities are detected, doctors can diagnose a sexually transmitted infections even in a one-year-old child.
If a psychiatric examination confirms a child's mental health condition, specialists inform parents about the delay in psycho-speech development (PDA).
When should the alarm be sounded?
Many parents, if their child is 3 years old, explain this by the fact that the nearest relatives of the crumbs also said their first words late and “grew up somehow”.
Unfortunately, this fact only indicates that the child has a genetic predisposition to PHD.
It should be remembered that the earlier the speech correction begins, the more likely it is that the activity will be successful.
Thus early detection of symptoms and timely referral to specialists can have a direct impact on the child's future life. If a child under 4 years of age does not speak, the following factors may be the reason for seeing a doctor:
- injured baby (including childbirth);
- detection of symptoms of CNS disorders, genetic diseases;
- response to sounds is absent in the baby, in the baby of one and a half years – imitation, in older children – words and coherent speech.
Which doctors should I see?
Parental complaints: “Kid's three years old, doesn't talk.” What do you do in this situation? First of all, it is necessary to determine the cause of the condition. To do this, you will need to contact specialists such as
- Pediatrician – he or she will conduct a general examination, determine developmental disorders according to age;
- Otolaryngologist will check the child's hearing;
- Defectologist will evaluate the development of the speech system;
- A speech therapist will determine the degree of sound formation;
- the neurologist will be able to detect CNS disorders;
- the child psychologist will help determine the presence of fears, isolation and other disorders and internal problems.
The main methods of correction of EQM
Today in our country the following methods are used to treat the delay of speech development:
Prophylactic treatment is quite common in the diagnosis of PHD. Medicines are used to activate the “speech zone” of the brain hemispheres, in particular, “Cortexin”, “Neuromultivit” and others. When a mental illness is detected, corrective drugs are prescribed.
Also, a neurologist may prescribe physiotherapy methods, such as magnetotherapy or electroreflexotherapy, to excite speech centers.
Parental questions arise about how to teach a child to talk at age 3? Pedagogical correction methods can be used. Priority should be given to exercises for fine motor development