What should a child be able to do in 4 months
What should a child be able to do in 4 months: norm and deviations
The first 4 months of a child's life are rightfully considered the most saturated and productive. During this time, the baby is developing intensively. It is not only a question of body weight gain, but also about various skills.
The kid becomes more active, more willingly goes on contact with parents and strangers. He actively interacts with the outside world, allowing him to acquire new life skills.
In order not to miss out on possible developmental disabilities, it will be useful for parents to know that a child must be able to cope with 4 months.
K 4th month of life, the crumb is formed a “recovery complex”. This means that when communicating with adults, the child begins to actively move his or her limbs, smile and humorously humor. By this time, the baby can not only smile, but also laugh happily. He distinguishes between good and bad emotions of adults. Joyful when a new toy appears.
In 4 months, the baby is unmistakably recognizable among other adults of his parents. This is not surprising, because they spend the most time with the child.
It is remarkable that children of this age group are able to distinguish their relatives not only by their appearance, but also by their voices. If they don't see their parents, they start actively looking for them and listening to their surroundings.
Psychological development level
Under four months of age, children smile reflexively. After four months, the child starts smiling consciously. That is, his mood begins to be managed by the central nervous system. The full range of emotions and feelings that an adult can experience is available to the child
- In this case, the whole spectrum of emotions and feelings is available to the child.
- Front and frustration. These feelings a child learns when he or she meets a stranger and instead of his or her mother's usual breast receives a bottle of artificial food.
- Curiosity. It is common for all babies, but especially for children aged 4 months. It is at this time that the baby begins to know the world consciously.
- Safe. It is encountered when a child does not see or hear his mother for a long time.
- Joy. The most common experience for babies is when they just see their parents.
- Excitement. The child gets to know him/her during the meeting with new interesting things.
This is a very important stage in the development of the crumb. It is at this time that parents should make sure that there is a close emotional connection between them and the baby. In the future it will allow the child to develop correctly in the psycho-emotional plan. He'll find it easier to adapt to the world around him, because he'll know there are people who love him.
K 4-months babies get some independence. They're actively turning their heads. During feeding, they prefer to help themselves with their hands. They grab my mother's breasts or a bottle.
Naturally, that's not all the skills that a crumb will acquire in 4 months of life. There's a lot more of them. The main ones are:
- the capture of objects. By the time you're four months old, the grabbing reflex stops working. The child takes objects in his hand consciously. If you put your finger in his palm, the baby might not be able to grab it. Now he'll only do it if he wants to. The ability to make arbitrary grabbing movements is the first step to mastering one's own body. The process of capture is activated when the child sees an object worthy of attention;
- the tiny one starts to play consciously. Not only does he watch his parents entertain him, but he also tries to take part in these activities;
- the back-to-back and back turns. Despite the fact that some children acquire this skill sooner or later, the average age of the child is 4 months. It's a skill that worries young parents at first. The baby can fall out of bed during these coups. To avoid this, parents put the crumb on the floor or on the big bed and thus make a big mistake. The fact is that the child finds himself in a huge space for him, which must certainly be explored. That's why he's starting to roll around. Some kids are making their first attempts to raise their shoulders and head. They're trying to sit down. But so far they don't have the strength and skill to do so;
- preparing for crawling. Tiny starts to show the first attempts to move around on their own. The baby starts to push his legs off the crib and raise his ass if they lie on the floor. Some small experimenters even manage to move slowly in a plastunistic way, but it is difficult to call it crawling. It is useful for parents to motivate their child to move like this. For example, you can put your favorite toys in the crib at a distance from the crumbs to learn how to use your body properly.
Sight and hearing
Kid starts to actively pay attention to all bright or moving objects by 4 months. He used to have no focus in his eyesight.
He could only distinguish objects at a distance of 40 cm. Now he can see clearly at a distance of 3-3.5 m. Now the baby can enjoy the view of his room.
Yes, and walks in the fresh air become more informative for him.
What concerns hearing, by the 4th month it becomes as sharp as adults. Now kids are able to react to the sounds around them properly: when they hear abrupt and unfamiliar sounds, they are frightened, and when they hear their mother, they rejoice.
In this age, parents should not allow scandals in front of the child, as the crumb is a great differentiator of emotional speech.
It is desirable that the child does not stay silent while awake. If his mother is busy doing her homework, she can put him on classical music, children's fairy tales or lullabies. It's all gonna be good for the little man.
By the age of 4 months, a child should be able to use his or her speech system actively. He's already pronouncing the main syllables properly: “Ba”, “Pa”, “Ma”. Because of their clear pronunciation, many young parents mistakenly think that the child is about to talk. These are false expectations.
It's still a long way to make a full-fledged speech. The syllables that parents hear from crumbs at this age only indicate a good mood. These sounds are made unconsciously by children, they only copy the articulation of adults. Still, it's a very important step.
Because now the child has another tool to attract the attention of parents.
When it comes to developmental pathologies, many people forget that all children are individual and unique. Even if children are placed in the same conditions, they will develop differently. For example, if a child starts to turn over 1 month later than his or her peers, this is considered normal.
In cases where the gap is up to 2 months, then parents need to urgently show their crumb to doctors.
Lack of half of the skills described above is a serious reason to seek help. We should definitely go to the doctors in the following cases:
- crumb does not move properly;
- he cannot hold the head;
- he does not pronounce the most common syllables;
- the baby does not react properly to its name and loud sounds;
- the child hardly smiles. When a rare smile appears on his face, it is obvious that she is unconscious;
- the tiny one does not even try to turn over;
- the baby does not show interest in toys.
All these abnormalities eloquently point to a child's physical and psycho-emotional underdevelopment. With the help of a paediatrician and neurologist, there's no need to do without it .
If the abnormalities are minor, it's likely that parents just didn't pay enough attention to the development of the crumb.
Partners need to know what to do in order for the child to develop well.
After the age of four months, parents should do their best to make the child more active on the day. It is necessary to increase the time of continuous waking up to 3 hours. The child should have enough time to walk, play with his parents. He should have enough time to learn new skills.
The night's sleep of a child should take from 7-10 hours. It should be taken into account that the crumb is likely to wake up at night to eat. That's why parents should do their meals overnight in advance.
- As mentioned above, the child should be able to grab various items. Parents can improve that skill. To do this, you need to do small exercises with the baby's ball.
- You need to put the baby on the back and raise the ball above it.
- You need to swing the ball and rotate it to get attention.
- The baby will certainly try to grab it. Parents have to let us do the grabbing. If the crumbs fail to grab the ball, parents can help.
This exercise should be done no more than 2 times a day.
The child should also be able to actively turn over in 4 months. If he's not good at it, that's no reason to panic. Parents can speed up learning.
To do this, they need to put a crumb on the back, take the baby's leg, bend it and take it aside. The child will instinctively stretch the handle in the same direction. Partners should give him a finger.
Krukha will grab it and use the support to turn it over on his stomach.
This exercise should be done very gently and carefully.
For the crumbs to work better with their fingers, parents can make a special toy for them: a touchscreen box.
Making it easy: you need to take a cardboard cube and paste it with different materials. Holes of this size should be made in the two sides of the box so that the crumb can stick his hand in.
Inside the box you need to firmly fix the shoelaces, buttons, nappy and smooth fabric, foil.
The baby will actively try to feel the different parts of the toy. Thus, he'll be actively developing fine motor skills.
Hearing development is easiest. To do this, you need to use various musical instruments such as a bell, a flute, a xylophone. You have to make various sounds with their help next to the child. And the baby has to see exactly what the sound is making. The child should be able to calculate the location of the sound source.
Stimulation of the speech system
This is not so much a job for the child as it is for the parents. They should do the following exercises:
- to take the baby in her arms so that she can see her mother's face
- she has to stick out her tongue and shake her tongue from side to side
- to inflate her cheeks and squeal;
- to pull out her lips with a tube.
After a while the baby will start copying the actions of the mother. That way, he'll have faster speech development.
So now you know that the child should be able to do it in 4 months. He is capable of grabbing objects, manipulating them, humming, emotionally reacting to changes in the environment. At this stage of your baby's life, parents should help him or her to develop new skills and create the conditions for moving towards new achievements.
Physical, mental and speech development of the infant: what should a child be able to do at 4 months?
Development by months
Your baby is 4 months old! He no longer looks like the inactive and helpless baby you brought from the hospital. Now it's a chubby carapuzzle with curious eyes and a smiley face. He is no longer concerned about colic, pain, and unreasonable fears: he has become accustomed to the new world and is ready to explore it.
Active interaction with the world around him, the rapid development of the psycho-emotional sphere, and the gradual extinction of the newborn's reflexes are the main achievements of a four-month-old child.
The extinction of the newborn's reflexes
The extinction of the newborn's reflexes continues in 4 months. It is easy to check their presence or absence, but it is not the parent who should be testing the baby, but a neurologist:
- Place the crumb on a flat surface and slam your hands on it with force. If Moro's reflex is preserved, the child will spread out the handles with his hands open and then return them to their original position.
- Lay the baby on his stomach and then place his palm on his feet, creating a support. The child will try to crawl. This reflex should die out by 4-5 months to be replaced by crawling without any support.
- Swipe your fingers down along the baby's backrest, retreating 1 cm to the right and left of the spine line. If the Talent reflex is still alive, the baby will bend the back.
- Slide your finger from above down the spine line. The surviving Reza reflex will make the child bend and scream.
- Touch the baby's palm with a toy. The tiny one should not only clench his fist by grabbing the object, but also try to see the “prey”, shake it or put it in his mouth. Such an interest in the seized item would indicate a change in the reflex by arbitrary grabbing movements.
If the reflex actions persist, the doctor will prescribe treatment for the child: the untimely extinction of the newborn's reflexes indicates neurological pathologies.
All skills and abilities
Physical development of the child is rapid, so by the end of this month the child will have mastered the following skills:
- rolled from stomach to side, sometimes on back;
- can hold the head for one minute while
- can take a sitting position if parents pull him up by the handles (but it is too early to sit down the baby – his skeleton is not strong enough);
can “stand” on toes and bounce slightly if parents support it under their arms, but are not able to keep their own weight on their legs yet;
- holds his hands open, puts them together or puts his fingers in his mouth, slams his hands on the surface, is able to hold objects for 25-30 seconds;
- grips objects with his hands arbitrarily, when he wants to, looks at them, drags them into his mouth;
- lying on his stomach, tries to crawl: lifts the rear part and moves the legs;
- colors well, sees objects at a distance of 3-3.5 m from the eyes, watches moving objects with interest;
- can distinguish a familiar voice from an unfamiliar one, reacts to quiet rhythmic music by rocking the head in time, and distinguishes between the emotional coloring of the sounding speech.
The most important achievement of this age is the appearance of arbitrary movements. This is a natural consequence of the fading of reflexes, which indicates that the child is beginning to control his or her own body and to coordinate actions.
Practices for physical development
- For the child to learn how to flip from stomach to stomach, bring a bright toy to his face and then take it up. The child will reach for a curious thing and will be able to turn over.
- If the child does not react to the toy, help him to make the first turn: put the crumb on his tummy and turn his legs slightly so that the pelvis also turned. The baby won't be able to stay in such an uncomfortable position for so long and will start turning the head and shoulders.
If you help a little, it will flip over completely.
- For the baby to start crawling, put it on the floor and put an entertaining toy in front of it. Seeing an interesting thing, the baby tries to get close to it and grab it. Make sure your child can satisfy this desire, otherwise the interest in the game will be lost.
- To develop the ability to control the body, attach a ringing bell or bells to your child's handle. Over time, the baby will realize that certain movements cause the ringing, and will purposefully make them.
- Expand the agility of the fingers can be with a small satin lanyard.
Put him in the baby's handle, wait until he grabbed him, and then pull on one end. The child will have to either grab the cord more firmly or move his or her fingers.
- Pick up the crumb early, but you can focus on the development of the spine muscle framework.
To do this, put the baby on the back, let's grab your fingers and slowly lift him or her up. The baby will follow you, gradually taking a sitting position (the angle of ascent should not exceed 45º).
Four months old is a real talker. If before he used his voice to draw his mother's attention to his own needs or to express his dissatisfaction, now he is screaming and humming for pleasure. Tiny is happy to be able to make different sounds, repeating them after adults.
The best way for the baby is to use vowels “a” and “o” and some consonants (“b”, “p”, “m”). He is not yet able to pronounce syllables and words, but it is possible to understand his speech: if the mother listens carefully to the baby's “conversation”, she will be able to determine his emotional state.
Practices for speech development
- Targeted speech development is not yet necessary: it is enough to talk to the child, tell him stories, stories from life.
So that the child can later associate the sound image with the visual, show him a variety of toys or pictures and tell him about what he saw.
- Bow over the lying baby and start making sounds (vowels first, then consonants).
The baby will try to imitate your lips. He or she will soon be able to repeat individual sounds after you, and then syllables and words.
- Perform impromptu performances with rag dolls in front of your child.
These “plays” do not matter: the main thing is expressive and emotional speech. Give each character an individual timbre, height and volume so that the child can learn to express his or her emotions while listening to you.
Mental maturity of a four-month-old child is indicated by the following achievements:
- ability to express emotions – joy, resentment, fear, curiosity, annoyance, surprise;
- different reactions to others: At the sight of a mother the kid shouts, agucats, bakes and smiles, at the sight of the stranger – stops, cries with fear;
- appearance of favourite and unloved toys: A child with a squealing joy is satisfied with his favorite thing, and the unloved one is outragedly discarded;
- distinguishing between acquaintances and strangers (only those whom the child sees on a daily basis and does not have time to forget are considered acquaintances);
- interest in his or her body: The baby looks at his toes, feels his face and hair, pulls his legs into his mouth;
- the ability to detect the simplest cause-and-effect relationship: at the sight of the mother's breast, the baby stops talking and waits for feeding, and at the sight of the hands stretched out to him – tense all over his body, waiting for hugs.
K for 4 months the baby learns to laugh loudly. Bend over the baby, smile at him, tickle his body – and the baby will answer you with a joyful laugh.
How to prevent mental retardation?
- The child now needs constant contact with the mother. He must feel her love and care, must hear her voice telling him about amazing things from the world around him. Such close communication is a guarantee of correct emotional development.
- In 4 months at the kid small motor skills, tactile sensations and touching are improved.
Therefore offer it as much as possible various set of toys: plastic rings, wooden cubes, rag dolls, teddy animals will approach to it. He will be especially interested in toys and musical toys with buttons: they improve not only the tactile sensations, but also the hearing of the baby.
- Play games with a crumb suitable for his age: “Cuckoo”, “Cakes”, “Shorned Goat”, “Forty Crow”.
Every recently, most of the time the baby spent in his sleep. But in 4 months the waking period increases significantly and reaches 9-10 hours a day. At night, the baby sleeps for 9-10 hours without waking up, and falls asleep only 2-3 times during the day.
Begin to accustom the child to the mode: for this purpose, put him to bed at a strictly defined time. However, do not prevent the baby from falling asleep before the hour set: when the baby starts yawning and refuses to play, carry him to bed.
In 4 months, the child can already fall asleep independently, without the presence of parents. However, to do so, he must be in an excellent mood. To reassure your baby, put him to bed and stay with him for a while.
The optimal way to feed a four-month-old baby is breastfeeding. If the mother has enough milk, you don't have to feed her yet. If the baby is being artificially fed, the menu can be enriched with the following products:
- vegetable and fruit juices (mix a few drops of juice with water and feed the resulting baby formulae);
- egg yolk (rub ¼ of the egg yolk and dilute it with the usual milk formula);
- with kefir, cottage cheese;
- with single-smoked porridge.
All these foods are introduced gradually, in small portions (½ teaspoon each). If a child has an allergic reaction, the product should be immediately removed from the diet.
The average number of meals at this age is 6-7 per day. Food is available on demand.
Habituation to a new type of food leads to a change in the child's stool. Now the intestines are empty no more than 2-3 times a day (with breastfeeding) or 1 time a day (with complementary feeding).
Four months old is a tireless researcher. He has become accustomed to the changed conditions of life, has acquired enough new skills and is now ready to actively use them to study the world around him. Help your curious little girl satisfy her curiosity!
← What a child should be able to do at 3 months
Other materials in the section
https://jliza.== sync, corrected by elderman ==
What a child should be able to do at 4 months: boy and girl
The life of a small person from three months is a transition from reflective, unconscious activity to willful activity. The kid's learning how to use his body. From four months onwards, the child takes the initiative to actively explore the world around him.
He tries to influence the parts of the child by observing the reaction. This is a fundamentally different form of behaviour.
Parents need to know that they need to know that a child should be able to take good care of a karapuz at 4 months of age, based on this information.
I look at the child and I see that:
- the baby gained 800 grams in a month;
- the body length increased by 3 centimeters;
- the circle of the chest and head became the same. Handles with legs stretched out in length, the figure became more proportional;
- changes the color of the eyes, the hair appears;
- the crumbs became calmer, so the colic went away, the digestive organs adapted;
- the "flowering" of the baby ended. Pimples have disappeared from the face;
- increased salivation due to the constant presence of different objects in the mouth.
Serious differences in development between boy and girl are not yet evident. The boy can only be a little bigger.
Fourth month of life is indicative of the fact that many children's reflexes leave. They're being replaced by conscious movements. For example, a grabbing reflex disappears. Since the birth of the baby, he's been clenching his palm with his fist in his hand without realizing it.
Now the little man can make his own choices. He takes his favorite item, plays around, lets him go. This is due to the beginning of active knowledge of the world around.
Tiny shakes the rattle, studying its properties: its sound, color, size, sense of touch.
It's good to have many different age-appropriate toys to compare and choose from.
This is an age where back and shoulder muscles form and develop. These areas are the first to come out of hibernation, helping to change their position in space. A very important step for development is to learn how to turn from back to stomach.
If the baby has mastered the coups, you can lay it on the floor. There's plenty of room for new games, there's no risk of falling.
A grown-up who cares for the baby shouldn't be afraid to carry it to the floor, because it increases the baby's world many times. It is important to provide conditions for new activities: to create a comfortable temperature, to put on a play mat, to keep the child clean.
Development of the child in 4 months allows him to keep his head lying on his stomach. The kids, quietly leaning on their elbows, are already trying to crawl, pushing their feet. The next step is active crawling.
Some children raise their heads, shoulders, and backs slightly. From the outside, it may seem like an attempt to sit down. But it's a test of children's body capabilities, muscle development.
Nelsya helps the child to sit down until he or she starts doing it on his or her own.
The danger lies in the enormous strain on the spine, which can lead to undesirable consequences. The baby himself will start to rise to the sitting position, holding hands. That would mean his muscles and skeleton would be ready for new stresses